GM Instrument Cluster Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing about 75 MPH on the freeway this morning, something happened with the '05 Envoy. All the warning lights came on, all gauges dropped the 0 and I think the engine died momentarily and revved back up again.

As I was pulling over, the lights went away and all gauges went back to normal - except the oil pressure and coolant temperature gauge. Oil pressure was pegged at 550 kPa (80 PSI) and coolant temperature was showing 110°C (230°F) - even though it read 202°F on my ScanGauge-II. Killed the ignition and restarted it, all gauges were normal except oil pressure and coolant temperature. Worthy of note, the positive battery terminal bolt needed replacement, which I didn't get to yet and I had the infamous starting problem I posted about earlier.

When you kill the ignition, oil pressure and coolant temperature do not revert back to 0 like the rest of the gauges, they're pegged in the center of the gauge. Does this sound like a stepper motor issue, triggered by a poor battery connection or am I looking at something else? Thanks!

The battery connection is so easy to handle I don't know why you're putting it off any longer.

I was waiting on parts, which arrived today. Too little, too late. Now that box is checked, I got this to deal with.

depending on the manufacturer + the vehicles age many clusters are coded to the ecu + will be a pain to get functioning not to mention $$$, good luck! $80 is good but too good + for that much i would not expect much but you never know!!

Last edited:
Update - went ahead and replaced the battery cables today, cleaned out the battery terminals real well and fired it up. The gauges zeroed out at KOEO, and reverted back to normal when the engine was running. 60 mile test drive, all seems well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back