GM hour meter and actual mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a 2008 GMC Sierra in Feb. with 42300 miles on it.The engine hour meter showed 170 hours. I have put 8000 miles on the truck, current mileage is about 50300 and the engine hour meter shows over 400 hours. This just doesn't make sense, any thoughts?

The difference in hours is 230. So, you drove 8000 miles and it took you 230 hours to do it, giving you an average speed of about 35 MPH. Makes perfect sense to me.

Are you wondering why the hour meter showed 170 when you bought it? That's probably how long ago someone had reset it.

I assume the engine monitor is monitoring engine usage since last oil change. This is part of the oil life monitor (OLM). 50300-42300 = 8000 miles that you have put on the truck since purchase. 400 hours - 170 hours = 230 hours. This is how many hours you have had the engine running since you purchased the truck. 8000 / 230 = ~35 miles per hour. That sounds like a reasonable average speed to me. Seems like it's working just fine.

Unless of course this has nothing to do with the OLM, in which case, it's been reset or something is broken.

You reset the engine hour meter in your DIC just like you do the OLM. They are seperately reset, not linked together.

Originally Posted By: cchase
They reset on their own, unfortunately. No clue why.

I think its more the driver doing it by itself. Mine has never been reset until I did it like 3 years later...by accident in the DIC.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: cchase
They reset on their own, unfortunately. No clue why.

I think its more the driver doing it by itself. Mine has never been reset until I did it like 3 years later...by accident in the DIC.

The one in ours reset on its own. Never been to a dealer or mechanic, on the original battery.

My 2010 Peterbilt truck with the Cummins 550 had the ECM replaced and the hour meter went to zero, but the mileage remained the same.

Thanks for the replies, my hour meter cannot be reset. So Im assuming it reset on its own or a technican reset it for some reason. I'll keep my eye on it to see what happens. Really like the truck alot, much nicer that the 2006 F150 that I traded for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back