GM, Ford Sales Down, Toyota, Honda Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because people refuse to give American manufacturers another chance. The bad taste from the 70's and 80's is still there.

Personally, it makes me very happy because I buy extremely nice, high-quality used American-made cars for a steal after they're about three or four years old!
smile.gif

As a whole, I think people should give the American manufacturers another chance. They truly ARE making excellent cars and trucks these days.

Plus, Toyota and Honda rip you off at the point of purchase.

More importantly, I don't care what anyone says about the global economy, it REALLY DOES HELP the American economy to purchase American made/owned/designed/manufactured products whenever possible.

For me, it's Ford/Chevy/GMC/Cadillac/Lincoln/etc.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
toyota's and honda's are crap cars

I wouldn't agree with that statement.

But I would agree that they are not nearly the "value" they used to be. Plus, they aren't valuable to our economy.

They are reliable for the most part and they usually get decent fuel mileage, but the same can be said for most American cars, too.

I concur with Astrovic's statement with regards to purchasing domestic vehicles certainly contribute to the American economy.

With that said, I do plan to buy a GM product for my next car, though I think my father disagrees...
wink.gif

quote:

No kidding. Talk about ridiculously expensive parts as well.
mad.gif

Example: A remanufactured GM 4T65E transmission costs about $1500 from a reputable company. A Honda transmission runs about $2800.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:

quote:

No kidding. Talk about ridiculously expensive parts as well.
mad.gif

Example: A remanufactured GM 4T65E transmission costs about $1500 from a reputable company. A Honda transmission runs about $2800.

Exactly. I forgot about the parts ripoffs.

"But, AstroVic, don't you know that Japanese cars never break..."

Riiiiiiiiiight, and I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.

Funny thing, I loved the 70's Chevy trucks. I personally believe they were built a LOT better then.

We had a '79 Chevy Scottsdale with the 350 V8, I loved that truck, it became a true friend, it really did. That rig traveled all over this country, hauling a good size camper and a 4K LB boat for more years then I can remember.

She hit more backroads, mountain roads, beaches, riverbeds, lakes, mineshafts then other vehicles, or other people for that matter, will ever see.

She had over 350k when the suspension begin to fail, but that engine was all original, even the seals/gaskets. It ate alternators for breakfast, headlights were an occasional snack, the clutch seemed to be the very rare nibble, tires were dime a dozen. Don't even remember how many sets it wore out.

They don't make 'em like that one anymore.

Sold it to an older gentleman who was gonna take it up on the Yukon River in Alaska and live in it - we sold it with the camper.

Bought a '99 Chevy 2500 6.0L Vortec to replace it, it was even the same color. Unfortunately, it grew to be a horrible replacement, literally falling apart in more ways then one by barely 85k miles, all highway.

Throw-out bearing in the clutch went out, main computer had a glitch causing the truck to continuously redline, radiator freeze plugs kept leaking that crappy dex-cool stuff, emergency brake required constant adjustments, brakes themselves couldn't hold the weight of the truck on a boat dock, without the camper; truck ate tires even after hundreds of dollars trying to eliminate any possible suspension issues.

At 96k miles, we finally gave up, took it to a dealership on one of it's "better acting days", hadn't redlined all day, swapped it for a 2001 Dodge Diesel.

First Dodge I've personally ever owned - can't complain too much, it's still under warranty which helps. Oil pan gasket replaced at 50k, airbag sensors replaced, transmission pan gasket now leaking at 80k. Overall not bad, but hasn't seen half of the roughlife that that '79 Chevy saw.

For my DD's, gonna stick to my imports, for now - we've had our share of Chevy cars, overall not too bad, just always seem to have cooling issues that blow the heads. Ford cars, nope not a chance.

Have a 20yr old Toyota truck that's still going - however rusty it's getting!

[ May 02, 2006, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Ramblin Fever ]

i purchased my civic because of honda's rock solid reliability, its fuel efficiency, interior comfort, exterior looks, the fact that its fun to drive, very safe, and is overall a great buy for around 17k, i forget exactly what i paid.

id love to buy an american cars, but theyre cheaply made, they get poor fuel economy, they look terrible, and its not my fault their management screwed up.

im gonna buy the best car i can get for the money. bottom line, asian cars give you the best bang for the buck. just my .02 before this topic gets locked.

*oh yeah. replacement tramnsmission for my MT civic would be $1855. nowhere near $2800. majestichonda.com if you want the proof

Most of the popular "foreign" vehicles are made in the USA now. My Tundra was. Wife's Avalon was. Daughter's Camry was. My Legacy GT was.

American workers cranking out great products. What's wrong with that?

Americans aren't the victims they were in the 70's and 80's. Much better available choices now.

There are no problems the Big Three have that great products can't fix.

The American buying public wants reliable, no-nonsense transportation. And their purchases reflect that.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
That's because people refuse to give American manufacturers another chance. The bad taste from the 70's and 80's is still there.

That be me. GM definitely left a real bad taste in my mouth with me in the 70s and 80s. I owned lots of them, guess I was a real slow leaner. Only one that was any good was an 73 Olds.

Bought my 1st Toyota in 1986 have not been able to talk myself into buying a GM rig since. Been very happy with my Toyotas they don't nickle and dime me to death like most all the 70s and 80s GM rigs did. Toyota gives me value for my dollar something GM failed to do.

I could care less about supporting the fat and happy overpaid GM management.

After knowing what two coworkers and one friend has went thru on 3 different newer GM rigs I have yet to see GM has changed their ways. From the looks of GM sales more than a few people have learned there lesson such as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back