GM Engine Oil Change Algorithim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have another relative who recently purchased a new 2002 Chevy Trailblazer with the 4.2l Inline six cylinder. It is equipped with GM's oil change reminder system. I know we hashed a lot of this out in another thread, but I thought many of you would be interested in how its performed to date.

About a week ago, it finally indicated it was time for the 1st oil change. The odometer read 13,700 miles! This on the original, factory fill, dino oil.

Rest assured, the owner did not follow this recommendation, (operated in frequently dusty conditions) and has stuck to his 3,000 mile oil changes
frown.gif
. Instead the oil was changed at 1,000, 4,000, 7,000, 10,000, and 13,000 miles.

I don't know - 13,000 miles seems like a really long interval for any dino oil under any conditions!

Any thoughts?

Who has been doing the changes? I am betting that someone reset the oilminder at least once over the period. My 02 silverado went 5700 miles the first time and 7179 the second. Depends on the ambient temperature. RW

Our 2002 Grand Am with the 2.2L engine whent about 6550 miles befor the monitor light came on.

I had changed the oil at 3000 miles but did not reset the monitor.

Bill

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
Who has been doing the changes? I am betting that someone reset the oilminder at least once over the period. My 02 silverado went 5700 miles the first time and 7179 the second. Depends on the ambient temperature. RW

Oil changes are done at home, and the monitor was never reset. In fact, the owner didn't even know it had an oil change lamp unitl it turned on!

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Williams:
Our 2002 Grand Am with the 2.2L engine whent about 6550 miles befor the monitor light came on.

I had changed the oil at 3000 miles but did not reset the monitor.

Bill

Yea, my son's GrandAm has gone off twice in the 6K range. I wonder if it works its way back from a 7.5 K max.
confused.gif

Maybe they changed the algorithm but on my 2000 it goes off at 7500 miles regardless of circumstances which is in accordance with manual. It states change oil when light goes on but never exceed 7500 miles. Light will go on at 7500 under ideal conditions and before that under all other

My 99 Grand Am GT, 3.4L V-6 has had the oil life montiter go off roughly 4-5 times and I have 53,000 miles and bought it new! It goes way over 10,000 miles untill the light comes on again. Screw that, I stuck to 3,000 mile changes as well. It gets to 95 degrees here at 7,000 feet above sea level with 2% humididty and dust everywhere. No way am I going to trust that moniter system

Well, I don't use mine either but I chagne the filter at 6000 miles and the oil at 12,000 miles and just reset the monitor at both intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back