GM dealerships are closing in quebec area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let you know the bad news..

70 out of 142 GM dealerships in the province of quebec will have to close their doors for december 31st 2009.

The news was last week but I said to myself, nahhh it cant be! Not half of the GM dealers..

Well today, when cruising around, 3 blocks from my house, I saw for the first time a big banner saying:

CLOSING SALES. WE HAVE TO SELL EVERYTHING FOR DECEMBER. They sell brand new cars for under 10k$ CAN. Next week, my gf and I are going to pay them a little visit since my gf needs a new car. A brand new Malibu for approx 15k$ CAN. Thats cheap alright!

Sadly, its true.. dealerships are closing...
frown.gif

I think that you really need to be careful. The media shrill is , "oh there are so many bargins to be had so you need to shop now, right now!"

Until the bitter end this stuff is a "come on". Bait for the little fishes.

I've been around and I've yet to actually see these screaming bargins that CNN, Fox and CNBC are crowing about. Sure maybe there are a few but not the huge numbers of units that they seem to indicate. The media is just trying to tempt people into the showrooms I guess. I have to say the dealer lots are PACKED full of units where I'm at but the prices still aren't what the need to be during a near depression.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
I think that you really need to be careful. The media shrill is , "oh there are so many bargins to be had so you need to shop now, right now!"

Until the bitter end this stuff is a "come on". Bait for the little fishes.

I've been around and I've yet to actually see these screaming bargins that CNN, Fox and CNBC are crowing about. Sure maybe there are a few but not the huge numbers of units that they seem to indicate. The media is just trying to tempt people into the showrooms I guess. I have to say the dealer lots are PACKED full of units where I'm at but the prices still aren't what the need to be during a near depression.

Soon....

There are some dealers by me closing too.
I think the franchise doesn't expire till sometime in 2010 but there are incentives to close by the end of the year.
I think if you close early GM will buy back some instock vehicles.
It a real shame, some of the ones closing are large well established dealers...

I have heard of at least two getting the axe in Alberta, one in Ponoka and the other in Three Hills.

Locally the GM, Ford and Chrysler dealers all do volumes comparable to a dealer in a medium sized city...in a town of 6,000. Gotta love the oil patch.

I think the dealer where my dad is from in Shaunavon, SK is getting the axe. I don't understand why they would kill it, there is a Ford dealer 40 minutes away and no other dealerships within an hour plus of those two. Both do fairly steady business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back