GM dealer oil change: Who makes their oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There may well be 'arrangements' at a corporate level, agreements between comapnies etc but in reality, when the bulk oil tank at a dealership is getting low and they hve 50 oil change customers per day you can bet your bottom dollar that they bulk from the cheapest supplier on the particular day, regardless of supply chain agreements.

Originally Posted by Olas
There may well be 'arrangements' at a corporate level, agreements between comapnies etc but in reality, when the bulk oil tank at a dealership is getting low and they hve 50 oil change customers per day you can bet your bottom dollar that they bulk from the cheapest supplier on the particular day, regardless of supply chain agreements.

Who knows if this is the case? I'm sure it happens far less than many believe.

both the Chevrolet dealership and the Cadillac dealership I used was quite proud that their carpet savers proclaimed we use Mobil lubricants...I doubt the current full synthetic Dexos 1 Generation 2 oil is Mobil 1 and more likely Mobil Super synthetic as that too is Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved and the dealerships near me still list Mobil 1 oil change for a higher amount...

YMMV

Bill

Originally Posted by silversport
both the Chevrolet dealership and the Cadillac dealership I used was quite proud that their carpet savers proclaimed we use Mobil lubricants...I doubt the current full synthetic Dexos 1 Generation 2 oil is Mobil 1 and more likely Mobil Super synthetic as that too is Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved and the dealerships near me still list Mobil 1 oil change for a higher amount...

YMMV

Bill

Unfortunately some GMC dealerships in South Florida do not carry Mobil 1. Just AC Delco Full Synthetic.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life

YMMV

Bill

Unfortunately some GMC dealerships in South Florida do not carry Mobil 1. Just AC Delco Full Synthetic.

do they carry other Mobil lubricants???...that's my point...since GM re-signed their marketing agreement with Mobil, I believe their GM branded full synthetic is a Mobil product but I doubt it's Mobil 1...Mobil Super Synthetic can be Dexos 1 Generation 2 approved...good luck with your choice

Bill

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by oldhp
Update. I checked with my Dodge dealer about oil change on my Challenger R/T. They use Mobil Super bulk oil. Amazing. Dodge/RAM/Jeep/Nissan dealer...... I asked if I could bring my own oil/oil filter as I wanted Pennzoil PYB 5W20, Mopar SRT oil filter. Yep. "We charge $22 to do that and we check everything under the car and in the engine compartment." I told them I wanted them to do it because of warranty reasons. "No problem, we'll do it and record it." Perfect.

P.S. I get to watch them too as they touch my baby!!!

Mobil Super meets warranty requirements.

That's the oil a family member did 400k on (5.3L GM)
Mobil 1 Express put on some MO-something bulk filter
5k OCI … 4L60e made it that far too doing 50k flushes

No the dealers will not use the AC Delco oil in the parts department. Oil is bought in bulk from the cheapest local dealer. Most likely it will meet the specs. It might not be Mobil 1 but it will meet the spec.

My last two dealerships (over 100 miles apart) offered to upgrade to M1 for a small incremental cost.
Did not do either since both were too far away.

My local GM dealer/service offers ACDelco parts and fluids. I don't partake in routine maintenance from them but have browsed their website for deals. They may also offer cheaper non-ACDelco services.

C00B4935-23A9-4C47-B095-BC816CB42FBC.jpeg

AC Delco doesnt make oil. It is rebranded Exxon-Mobil product. Most likely Mobil Super and/or Mobil Super Synthetic. Even the bottle mold is the same.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
AC Delco doesnt make oil. It is rebranded Exxon-Mobil product. Most likely Mobil Super and/or Mobil Super Synthetic. Even the bottle mold is the same.

Yup, the GM oil we use from AC DELCO is Mobil Super Syn 0w20 and 5w30. Both Dexos 1 gen2

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life

YMMV

Bill

do they carry other Mobil lubricants???...that's my point...since GM re-signed their marketing agreement with Mobil, I believe their GM branded full synthetic is a Mobil product but I doubt it's Mobil 1...Mobil Super Synthetic can be Dexos 1 Generation 2 approved...good luck with your choice

Bill

hmmm...
wink.gif

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back