GM- Coolant leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I have an '00 Grand Am GT with the 3.4L. I currently have 101K+ on the odometer. I've never had a coolant leak (knock on wood). "

I promise you the odds are 100% you have a manifold leak. Have you done an oil analysis??

Many of the 3.1-3.4 coolant leaks are external and not internal.If you see a puddle of anti-freeze on top of the area where the transmission is attached to the engine (there is a little pocket up there) you have an external leak.With a good flash light and a little searching you can see right in there.If the cooland tank stays full you don't have a leak unless it just started recently.I know of many that have never leaked...also see many that have

I have two 01 Montanas and three 03's. Both 01's had intake leaks. The first one was done at 100k and now has over 330k with no further problems. The second 01 is just about to go in for it's reapir so hopefully it will hold up just as well. The 03's seem to be holding up much better. 2 of them only have around 70k but the third has 180k with no coolant loss so far.

"They also have some head gasket problems - not so much on the cars but on the mimi-vans and sport utes not so much on the cars but on the mimi-vans and sport utes.Usually the rear head.GM is now picking up the tab if its beyond warranty.The should have been doing that for the last 10 years."

Huh? The engines are the same for both the vans AND the cars.

I'm in the market for a GM vehicle (GM card holder) and my seven years is almost up next month. I was lookin at the G6 but my wife wants the Vibe instead. she wants the toyota reliability.

The G6 is OK-the drive train has been used and improved thru the years...same as the newer Malibu....The Vibe is excellant.Can't go wrong with either.Have her drive both and see what she likes.

That is true ....the the techs. beleive that its a heat related problem.And if one gasket is bad its always the one in the rear.Just go into a Pontiac/Buick dealership and ask a heavy duty mechanic.The Aztek and Buick Rhandivau(real bad spelling) and the mini-vans have frequent head gasket failures.The passenger cars very seldom.
Perhaps they just work harder or the heat gets trapped under the cowl area when the engine is shut off.Seems to be the worst on the 2000 thru 2003 models.

CHeck out the TSB's for coolant leaks in GM vechiles with the 3.1,3.4,3.8 and 5.3. You might also check out the TSB's on oil consuption, piston slap and rod knock. The main offenders are the 3.1,3.4,North Star's,Vortec 5.3 etc... Even the flagship Corvette has been plaged with excessive oil consumption and piston slap. I forgot to add Saturn 4 cylinders to the list as well.

The said part is that prior to GM puting a plastic see (Dupont Nylon 33 or 66) upper intake mainfold on the 3.8 it was a relatively problem free engine!

GM has redesigned the intake gaskets, torque spec., torque sequence, and thread sealant used many times trying to stop the 3.1 and 3.4 from being so leak prone. To date it is still issue. THe design and materials are just flawed and to be significantly redesigned or droped from production all together!

GM has even tried sophisticated decarboning/cleaning tactics to fix oil consuption and slapping noises! To little avail!

To all the GM Nazi's this is not an anti-GM post simply stateing historicaly significant facts. They can be researched at Alldata or any other place that list's TSB's and recalls by manufacture!

Geno >>>>> "its fixed on the 2006 and up"

So my 2005 3.4L Equinox engine (made in China) is one of the suspects or no because it's made in china and a different motor ?

Help me out on the confusion....Thanks

Well I did and on my 3.4L Equinox there are no recalls, and the technical service bulletins from all data don't mention anything about 3.4L vin F motor leaking antifreeze into the motor.

I looked in Infrtraxx and AlldataDIY ...

Regards,

T (GM Nazi and proud of it !)

GreeCguy
Member # 6496

posted 15 February, 2006 00:55
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me thinks me gonna go FORD on the next truck!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 171 | From: Elderly County, Florida | Registered: Mar 2005 | IP: Logged |

Go ahead and you will likely get twice the problems. But I must say the new F150 is a suave truck.

Hi

With the 3100 and 3400 V6s well known for their intake leaks, I wonder if the 3500 derivative used in the G6 and Malibu are affected as well.

Any one know..?

Tony - and GM says they never had an intake leak problem.The problem was never mentioned in TSB's etc. because they didn't want to encourage warranty work.

Lght!-The 3500 engine uses a completely new and improved intakes sealing system.Looks like it should last.It only took 15 years to make the change.

Hi

I've schematic blueprints of the 3500 and it looks to be just a larger bore version of the 3400.

Is there really that much of a difference?

Also, is there more than one version of the 60 degree 3500 V6 used right now?

I've heard several passing references to more than one 3500 V6 on several boards, but havent read anything other than individual posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back