GM confirms new, redesigned Chevy Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good news as I like compact pick-ups. I was just thumbing through this month's issue of Motortrend, which lists all the trucks currently on sale in the U.S., and noted that the compact segment is kinda withering away. Dodge got out of that market a couple years ago. Ford now, too, with the long-lived Ranger put out to pasture. I was considering buying a new compact in a couple years and found myself thinking, is Nissan and Toyota going to be the only ones left in the segment?

Seems contrary to the way the market in general has been swinging to smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles, but what do I know?

Ford could easily get back into the game also by introducing a new(to the U.S.) Ranger that is currently for sale in foreign markets. They actually look pretty tough and utilize diesel engines that could be optional here.

Dodge just got out with the Dakota a month or so back.The RAM50 passed away a long time before that.Seems Americans now want either a full size gas hog truck or no truck at all.I see the Tacoma and Frontier taking most of the business left,and any new Colorado/Canyon/Ranger/Dakota is going to have to settle for a lot less sales.RAM is working on a unibody pickup,Ford claims to have no Ranger plans in the US at all.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Now if only they would bring the diesel to the US as well. I think it would sell well.

+1 Who cares unless we get the diesel.

Who cares if the base model isn't $5k below the base price of a full size truck after incentives?

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Who cares if the base model isn't $5k below the base price of a full size truck after incentives?

Lol! This isn't 1970 ya know.

Good for GM to stay in that market over here.

As for looks, I find it a bit too much "Car Like".

Its been awhile since I have heard anyone claim the domestic small trucks are unreliable or lacked longevity...

I work at a chevy dealer. My initial thought upon reading the memo was that at least it looks as tho it may justify its price. The trouble with small trucks is they don't cost any less than a full size because the economy of scale rule means they don't cost any less to produce than a full size. The days when they were what one bought if one couldn't afford a real truck are gone. They now serve the market that wants a pickup they can park in the garage.

Indications are that both Gas and Diesel will be available. I have always been a huge proponent of Diesel small cars and trucks so I am pleased we will have the Cruze and Colorado to test those waters...

Weird. Designed by Brazilians that were temporarily relocated to Thailand, because that is the biggest market for mid-size pickups in the world. GM is no longer an American car company. The new truck will be introduced in Thailand before going on sale in America.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Weird. Designed by Brazilians that were temporarily relocated to Thailand, because that is the biggest market for mid-size pickups in the world. GM is no longer an American car company. The new truck will be introduced in Thailand before going on sale in America.

Why do you say this? If Thailand is the biggest market for mid-sized trucks, it makes perfect sense to debut it there. The only reason not to, in my opinion, is to avoid ruffling the feathers of Americans who will say things like "GM is no longer an American car company." They don't have to announce every model within US boarders, especially when the US isn't the biggest market for that specific product. The truck is being built here in the US anyway, that was the first line of the article!

COOL!

Now offer it with an LS3, Tremec 6060, strong rear axle, in a stripped, lightweight, bare bones standard cab version.
thumbsup2.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
COOL!

Now offer it with an LS3, Tremec 6060, strong rear axle, in a stripped, lightweight, bare bones standard cab version.
thumbsup2.gif
laugh.gif

Like that's ever going to happen.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
COOL!

thumbsup2.gif
laugh.gif

Like that's ever going to happen.

It should
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back