GM Camshaft/Lifter Prelube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a case of of GM #12345501 camshaft and lifter prelube. What exactly is in this stuff. It states it contains a premium anti-wear agent and it is a trixotropic formula. OK. Ha ha.

Also contains Calcium Sulfonate and Polyisobutene.

Whats is in this stuff and does it have moly or zinc. Just curious... Can I use it in oil changes? Thanks. VOA?

This is "break-in" lubrication for motors with flat-tappet cams. They need greater amounts of ZDDP and other anti-wear agents for an initial period.

You have no need to use it with roller bearings. For flat-tappets it is only recommended for a preliminary use.

I own a collection of classic cars and would use it as a supplement. Just wondering if anyone knows for sure what is in this stuff? Has it ever been tested for the amounts of ZDDP, etc?

All I know is the cam lube products that have come out typically always include zinc. The old means was running diesel oil for the zinc. Don't see why they would make a solution without it. I'll step aside though, as I have no test info on the product.

Just found this. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=818112&Searchpage=1&Main=64242&Words=GM+%2312345501+&Search=true#Post818112

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter
Nice, there you go!
After break-in though, I'd just suggest using a high ZDDP oil, personally.

I agree with you but I also have this sitting on a shelf. I have a good amount of SM, racing, and other motor oils and I may use a little at a time to raise the zinc levels. Looks like it is very high in zinc and phos.

Sure. I doubt you'd see bad results, but I'm just skeptical of pouring in additives and expecting them to act as well as a high ZDDP oil, that's all. I have no idea how well this product may or may not "mix" with the oil.

Does it direct to apply like this?
I know some (most?) pre-lubes are to be applied directly to the cams. Other than that, I don't know!

Pouring in one of these 4 oz bottles is adding a good amount of zinc/phos to the oil. I would say it is a 40 or 50 weight oil. It pours and looks just like the ZDDPlus additve that is sold online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back