GM Camshaft and Lifter Prelube 4 oz bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you know what exactly is in the "GM camshaft and lifter prelube" 4 oz bottles? Not the EOS 16oz bottles, I am asking about the small 4 oz squeeze bottles.

I think it says mineral oil, calcium sulfonate and polyisobutene on the bottle. Who knows what that stuff is? Is this all that is in the prelube? No zinc or moly? Has anyone tested this stuff to see if it really has any zinc/moly in it? Thanks.

Last edited:
If those are the only ingredients, then its just a grease. An assembly lube with thickeners to hold it on the cam lobes.

Some cam assembly lubes are a bit more complex, and this one may have more in it than those ingredients. The old Mopar cam lobe break-in lube contained an etchant that would create a very fine-scale etch pattern in the hardened surface of the cam improving oil retention on the lobes over the life of the cam. Sorta the same idea as nickel-silicon, I guess- islands of metal surrounded by microscopic oil retention sites. It was identifiable by the strong warnings against letting ANY of it get on the cam bearing surfaces because it would potentially etch far too much material from the soft cam bearings. They recommended ordinary assembly lube on the bearings and the special cam break-in lube only on the lobes of the cam. It seemed to work fine, but then I was using it back in the day before low phosporous oils, too.

Originally Posted By: Quest
what are you trying to do with it? engine rebuild (cam lube) or you just wanna spike your engine oil with it?

Just curious. I have had a case of it for a while and heard that some guys and Hotrod mag recommended it to add to all oil changes. I do not want to add it until I know exactly what is in it.

I guess no one really knows what is in this stuff. Maybe, I will send some in for testing. I really do not want to guess if it has ZDDP or not. I assume it does but we all know where that can get you. LOL.

I really don't know. With respect to calcium sulfonate, it would be there to act as a corrosion inhibitor. Perhaps during break in of a new cam their exists alot of friction during break in and there would be a need for counter acting fried motor oil. With respect to the other ingredient listed, polyisobutene, this is an additive that typically is used to minimize oil misting and has positive properties in minimizing diesel fuel deposits from forming on injectors.

With respect to ZDDP concentration, it would be at a low enough level that it need not be labeled to contain such.

This does not sound like a product that I would be adding to the host oil of a daily driver. Or at least not for a normal OCI.

What ever it is, it's not ment to be dumped in motor oil. I would leave it alone.

Is MMO not enough to satisfy some people?

The prelube stuff would only be dumped in the oil charge if it had ZDDP. The oil doesn't need polyisobutane or calcium sulfonate. There are other products such as Street Legal Oil Booster (SLOB), which has ZDDP and MoS2 to help in flat tappet application, or just use a good diesel-rated 15W-40 oil. I personally verifed the presence of ZDDP and MoS2 in SLOB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
The prelube stuff would only be dumped in the oil charge if it had ZDDP. The oil doesn't need polyisobutane or calcium sulfonate. There are other products such as Street Legal Octane Booster (SLOB), which has ZDDP and MoS2 to help in flat tappet application, or just use a good diesel-rated 15W-40 oil. I personally verifed the presence of ZDDP and MoS2 in SLOB.

Why would you use an octane booster to add ZDDP or Moly? Does not make any sense.

I was just asking if anyone knew what GM's product had in it. If it does not have ZDDP then I would never use it. Different auto magazines have recommended adding it, so I wanted to make sure what it was consisted of before adding it any oil. I'll get some tested...

What you're looking for the the old GM zddp oil aditive and the name escapes me right now but it was not Lifter Prelube. They stopped making it and started again recently. I'll dig up the name.

And yes you should run it if you have a flat tappet Cam or an old Diesel Oil formula (new low zinc diesel oils are flooding the market and it's hard to find a good oil for Flat tappet applications.

Last edited:
It was called GM E.O.S (Engine Oil Supplement)

And it's back on the shelves. That;s what you're looking for.

Or a CI-4 rated diesel oil. (Newer oils still have more zinc then gas motor oils but they have reduced levels now)

Old E.O.S part# 1052367 - Was listed as an additive, this made the EPA mad because of all the zinc so they stopped making it

New E.O.S part#88862586 - Listed as an assembly Lube, identical formula(probably not 100% sure) but makes the EPA happy.

Last edited:
Sorry about the confusion but I was asking about GM's Camshaft and Prelube not the EOS. I have a lot of the EOS but was curious about the Prelube in a 4OZ bottle... Like I said I will get some tested. Trust me I have a large collection of old Muscle cars and know all about ZDDP and Moly, etc.

If you're looking for a ZDDP product (;ike for flat tappets)consider ZDDPlus. It has 71500ppm Zn, 51500ppm P, period. In a 4 oz/bottle, so crunch the numbers to get where you want to go.
No connection...

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back