GM Calls 3000-Mile Oil Change a "Myth"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my sis-in-law has a brand new Tahoe with nearly 5000 miles on the original oil and the OLM still shows that she has nearly 40% to go.
shocked.gif
I've tried telling her that this system doesn't actually measure the oil, but she swears that's what the salesman told her and that's she's sticking with it. Oh well, she'll trade it in within a few years anyway, before it gets over 50k miles....

quote:

Originally posted by simpleguy_68:
Well my sis-in-law has a brand new Tahoe with nearly 5000 miles on the original oil and the OLM still shows that she has nearly 40% to go.
shocked.gif
I've tried telling her that this system doesn't actually measure the oil, but she swears that's what the salesman told her and that's she's sticking with it. Oh well, she'll trade it in within a few years anyway, before it gets over 50k miles....

Get the manual out and show her the black-and-white simple explanation. I had a late 90s GM car that had the system, and the manual explained it pretty clearly. It even cautions, as I recall, that the OLM can NOT be relied upon in dusty conditions because it doesn't actually monitor the oil. Now, if she's just too dumb to read, she's got bigger problems to worry about than having her engine melt down. . .

quote:

Originally posted by MikeW:
Disputed by who? Jiffy Lube?

I, too, would like to know the answer to that question.

I have subscribed to CR for many years, and although I may not always agree with their recommendations on subjective things, like TV picture quality, or stereo speaker accuracy, I find their test methodology is usually sound.

As stated above, they compared identical cars, in the same operating environment, varying only the OCI...that seems pretty straightforward. They also used a number of different brands of oil, and all of them gave the same result: no statistically significant difference in wear between the 3k OCI, and the 6k OCI.

*Required Political-Correctness Disclaimer*

I do not work for Consumer Reports, nor do any of my friends, relatives, or acquaintances. Also, none of us work for any of the oil companies, taxi companies, or engine rebuilders affiliated with the above study. And I don't work for FRAM, either...
shocked.gif

G.M. the standard of quality, the heartbreak of America. The 3,000 mile oil change is the best thing around for most people, it's the only way to have the fluids checked and the tires aired etc.

[ April 11, 2004, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back