GM, California to Bust ‘3,000 Mile Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good start, but honestly, it should have been started at least 5 years ago.

Problem I have with it is its not going to change much, b/c they do say if in doubt, follow the man. recommendations - and most man. say (in the manuals) 3k miles under 'severe' driving conditions, and that's what most people drive under. The percentage of cars on the raod with an OLM, or recommended interval above 3k miles is fairly small.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I wonder how many people in the general populace change their oil in any timely manor .

I often wonder the same thing. I'd say most cars on the road are probably neglected as far as oil changes go. If it's still running......

Is GM going to lean its own on dealers to stop pushing unnecessary service intervals? With new and used truck and SUV sales in the toilet, the service department becomes the only way to keep the lights on for some of them.

The "severe service" interval is gone from the owners manuals of most new cars, if you can even find it in the hundreds of pages of CYA stuff about child seats, etc.

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Is GM going to lean its own on dealers to stop pushing unnecessary service intervals? With new and used truck and SUV sales in the toilet, the service department becomes the only way to keep the lights on for some of them.

The "severe service" interval is gone from the owners manuals of most new cars, if you can even find it in the hundreds of pages of CYA stuff about child seats, etc.

'Severe service' is present in my mom's 2000 Honda Civic manual.

2008 GMC Manual

No mileage mentioned for oil.

Quote:
When to Change Engine Oil
Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know
when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based
on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not
on mileage.
Based on driving conditions, the mileage
at which an oil change will be indicated can vary
considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, you
must reset the system every time the oil is changed.
When the system has calculated that oil life has been
diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary.
A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message will come on.
See DIC Warnings and Messages on page 3-59.
Change the oil as soon as possible within the next
600 miles (1 000 km). It is possible that, if you are driving
under the best conditions, the oil life system might not
indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at
least once a year and at this time the system must be
reset.

From what we've seen on this site, most cars can go 10k miles with no problem on syn oil, if the engine are in good running order. However, some cars, most notably the notorious Chrysler 2.7L and Toyota V-6 and I-4 engine from like about 1996-2002 NEED 3K MILE OIL CHANGES TO SURVIVE. My car the Toyota with the sludge-prone V6 has been religiously serviced at 3-4 mile intervals; with 90% at 3k I'd say, and it still has sludge, albeit just a light coating. So in my opinion most cars on the road today can go much more than 3k miles especially on syn. However, as usual, there are always those few exceptions.

The only problem I've had with the GM oil change reminder is stressing to customers to check the oil level between changes.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
these GM OLM are hurting their service depts I bet

Not a single GM dealer that I know of recommends following the OLM. All recommend the 3mo/3k interval and put a print out sticker on the windshield.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
these GM OLM are hurting their service depts I bet

Not a single GM dealer that I know of recommends following the OLM. All recommend the 3mo/3k interval and put a print out sticker on the windshield.

I had a dealer tell me that I should be doing 3000 mile oil changes on my truck when the owners manual states that severe service is 5000 miles. It is a 14 qt sump for a reason!

Geeze, and some people who work at dealerships get upset when you refer to them as stealerships. What a totally unfounded claim.

Last time I read anything from the Oil change industry their numbers reported that the national average for OCI in America is 9000 miles. Now that is going buy their reporting of their customers. I want to say it is Pennzoil Lube Centers that reported this a few years ago. So I do not see where it is that hard of a sell. I know very few people outside of my imediate family that change their oil regularly most people it is like an after thoguht "Have I changed my oil this year yet?"! Most people can not tell you when the last time they changed their oil unless they have a window sticker stareing at them.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Last time I read anything from the Oil change industry their numbers reported that the national average for OCI in America is 9000 miles. Now that is going buy their reporting of their customers. I want to say it is Pennzoil Lube Centers that reported this a few years ago. So I do not see where it is that hard of a sell. I know very few people outside of my imediate family that change their oil regularly most people it is like an after thoguht "Have I changed my oil this year yet?"! Most people can not tell you when the last time they changed their oil unless they have a window sticker stareing at them.

Thats pretty sad...thats why i would never buy a used car or truck unless from a BITOG'er, hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back