GM bankruptcy & Dexcool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who thinks that GM will still be using Dexcool after they (maybe) emerge from bankruptcy?

I think that this will be an indication of whether they intend to change their failed business plan or continue their mis-guided ways.

Count me in, after all, they are filing bankruptcy even after given a chance to fix it ealier with fed $$. They couldn't fix it then, I don't see a change now...

Originally Posted By: ZGRider

I think that this will be an indication of whether they intend to change their failed business plan or continue their mis-guided ways.

The Dexcool fiasco is water under the bridge.

Look who's going to own GM after this "bankruptcy".

I hope I'm wrong, but me thinks failure will be the operating mode into the future. Not too many people want to buy cars from a government and union run car company!

Who thinks that GM will still be using Dexcool after they (maybe) emerge from bankruptcy?

I see no reason for them to change to anything else. Why? Because the people who are taking care of the bankruptcy are not mechanics or shop foremen. They are lawyers.
The administration knows nothing about cars and the top ten people who are in charge of the "auto czar" club do not even drive a GM car. So who will be pushing to change away from Dex-Cool? Nobody.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I see no reason for them to change to anything else. Why? Because the people who are taking care of the bankruptcy are not mechanics or shop foremen. They are lawyers.
The administration knows nothing about cars and the top ten people who are in charge of the "auto czar" club do not even drive a GM car. So who will be pushing to change away from Dex-Cool? Nobody.

Hey, this lawyer, given the chance, would end the existence of RustCool immediately.

UPDATE:
Since the Indiana Trust has filed an appeal to stop the sale of Chrysler assets to Fiat, that deal looks very likely to fall through thus ending Chrysler as a company. The very same fate could befall GM (Govt. Motots) so Dexcool may finally go away too. Too bad it takes all this to make it happen. GM did make pretty decent cars for a good price.

How many other cars had problems with dexcool besides some 60 degree v6 engines? There are millions of GM cars running dex cool with nary a problem...

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
How many other cars had problems with dexcool besides some 60 degree v6 engines? There are millions of GM cars running dex cool with nary a problem...

That's [censored] with faint praise.

They could have failure rate of over 50% and still have millions of cars without Dexcool problems.

GM's problem has been it's suffocating union contracts, not Dex-cool.

The reorganization that comes from bankruptcy should yield a new, invigorated GM.

That is as long as the Chairman of the Board Obama doesn't manage the company like the social security system.

Now if we could just get a little protectionism from the federal gov't.

Then we could keep a few jobs in the USA that pay a living wage.

Otherwise we should just sign in for our third world status.

The #1 car in China is a Buick. The best car that we will be able to afford in the US will be a Kia. What's wrong with that picture?

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD

And many 90 degree V-6s, many 90 degree V-8s to name a few. GM looked the other way when confronted by Dexcool problems, but so did many buyers who just traded in their GM vehicles for new ones when they had Dexcool problems. Maybe if buyers had stopped buying them sooner, GM could have reorganized and re-engineered before the recession hit like Ford.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Actually it has been its amazingly incompetent management and the cozy ole boy relationship with the BoD that resisted any change for decades. Rememember it was GM management that made the choices on which cars to build and WHOM agreed to the Union demands? GM management.

The only reason we have a middle class in the USA was due to wide spread union organization. Sure there are bad apples in unions, just like there are bad apples in executive management, right?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Vizzy

Actually it has been its amazingly incompetent management and the cozy ole boy relationship with the BoD that resisted any change for decades. Rememember it was GM management that made the choices on which cars to build and WHOM agreed to the Union demands? GM management.

The only reason we have a middle class in the USA was due to wide spread union organization. Sure there are bad apples in unions, just like there are bad apples in executive management, right?
crackmeup2.gif

The UAw bargaining style of divide & conquer (there is a term which currently escapes me)left little options over the years for mgt to do anything but accept the contract. Its no coincidence that the UAW automakers are the ones having the most serious problems. It sure doesn't help to have to pay laid off workers 90% of their base pay to sit on their butts.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy

crackmeup2.gif

I'm not anti-union.

Just the opposite.

I'm talking about protectionism for US workers to maintain a living wage.

But you can't tell me that GM management wanted to go to bankruptcy.

GM management was doing all they could to keep the company viable.

But only the union had the opportunity to provide concessions that would let GM survive without bankruptcy.

But you can't tell me that GM management wanted to go to bankruptcy.

GM management was doing all they could to keep the company viable.

But only the union had the opportunity to provide concessions that would let GM survive without bankruptcy.

No Company Wants to go into 'ruptcy, But I dont remember hearing GM execs taking big pay and bonus cuts... I blame the management AND the union for GM's demise.

There are at least two options for management in any given scenario including this one. Management chose not to go against the union.

Originally Posted By: .

I dont remember hearing GM execs taking big pay and bonus cuts.

.. I blame the management AND the union for GM's demise.

Until it was too late, and yet guys like Rick Wagoner still got to walk away from the disaster he helped to create with tens of millions of dollars each year.

That's what gets me.

I bet if some years ago the management, and especially the executive level management, and BoD took massive pay and benefits cuts I DO believe that the Unions would have followed suit because it might have signaled how serious the situation was becoming for the health and well being of the company.

LEAD BY EXAMPLE
GM management CLEARLY didn't have enough class or character to do this.

Last edited:
Hey, when you have golden parachutes and lucrative executive retirement benefits, there is no disincentive for failure. Those auto execs never pay a personal price for their mistakes. Just like the execs of the big banks last year. No matter what the company does, they still get their bonuses.

That's the problem with America today. The Merit system doesn't exist at the top at all anymore. It's all about old boy connections, nothing else for the most part.

Sure makes me not feel like working too hard either.
05.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back