GM ATF FF, and best ATF for cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well some of you know that the 3T40 (3 Speed Auto) in my 97 Cavalier was rebuilt 1 1/2 years, and a couple thousand miles ago. I reported some rough shifting, which were fixed by adjusting the Throttle Valve cable to the transmission. Somehow it got out of adjustment. It shifts very smoothly at moderate acceleration, and quickly and crisply under hard acceleration. Now, couple questions. What would the Factory fill on the remanufactured transmission? ACDelco Dexron III? Not sure. Also, when I get home at some point I want to replace it with a full synthetic ATF from a reputable company. I was looking at Royal Purple Max ATF, or, Valvoline Dexron VI Full Syn. I want it to last a long time, and help protect this new transmission. I don't want to have to replace it again in the future, so I want to go for the good stuff. Any help is appreciated! By the way, glad I joined the site, I learn more and more everyday.

I personally think Amsoil ATF is the best, I use it and my transmission is working great.

You could PM Gary or Pablo and they could tell you if Amsoil ATF would be o.k. to use on your transmission.

Hah, I have heard AMSOIL is the best stuff, but my parents aren't going to go for ordering it online. They think ordering stuff online is dangerous, and refuse to do it.

Well, of the ones available at most auto stores, unless I could find Amsoil at a local retailer, what would be the best Synthetic? I'm starting to get a feel on oil, but as for ATF, I'm still pretty clueless.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Well, of the ones available at most auto stores, unless I could find Amsoil at a local retailer, what would be the best Synthetic? I'm starting to get a feel on oil, but as for ATF, I'm still pretty clueless.

It would be cheaper to get Amsoil ATF from a site sponsor here, its delivered right too your door and you do not need to go too the store.

Your only other choice would be Mobil 1 ATF, but I feel Amsoil ATF is a better choice.

I would love to get Amsoil, but I just went to their website, and it was, uh, slightly expensive. Almost $10 a quart. Not to mention, unless I can pay for it in cash when it is delivered to the door, it is not really an option for me. I take it those other two I mentioned, the RP and Valvoline, aren't the best ATFs then.

My 3t40 auto trans was stuck in 1st gear back in 3/09. I dropped the pan, changed the filter and fluid, and the 3t40 auto trans has smoothed out with Maxlife ATF and red lubegard. Just my experience.

I was thinking about lubeguard, I was recommended it previously and I was thinking about picking some up with the new ATF. I was looking at Royal Purple Max ATF, but now I'm thinking about Mobil-1 Synthetic.

I have used Mobil 1 ATF in my 99 Saturn SL2 that had a sticky valve body 70,000 miles ago. It is a little cheaper than the Amsoil and can be found in many parts stores. It shifts smooth and the sticky valve body has not returned. This can be used instead of Dex III.

Ok so it sounds like the ordering Amsoil ATF idea is out of the realm of possibility for you at this time. WHy not run the Royal Purple ATF you mentioned before?
21.gif
I would say its a toss up between that and the Mobil 1 which is said to be a great ATF as well. Maybe do a search on your car and ATF. See whats working good in your platform, then pull the trigger.

Well, based on the price, and that they both seem to be excellent ATFs, I am hesitantly saying I'm going to go for the Royal Purple one. I'm thinking I'm going to need to buy 4 quarts, and some of it won't be needed. Is that about right?

What about some SuperTech Dexron-VI?

It is Group III, has a good additive package and is easily obtainable at your local Walmart for under $4/qt.

Wait... The Dexron VI is a Grp III Conventional, and the Mobil 1 I was looking at at Autozone today is a Full Synthetic, but it doesn't meet Dexron VI specifications. Does that mean that the Dexron VI Conventional is a better ATF than the Full Syn Mobil 1?

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Wait... The Dexron VI is a Grp III Conventional, and the Mobil 1 I was looking at at Autozone today is a Full Synthetic, but it doesn't meet Dexron VI specifications. Does that mean that the Dexron VI Conventional is a better ATF than the Full Syn Mobil 1?

A GM approved Dexron-VI fluid such as the Supertech is superior to the Mobil 1 fluid.

There is more to a transmission fluid than just the basestocks. Having the correct frictional properties is very important for proper operation of an automatic. Dexron-VI will retain its frictional properties longer than Dexron III and should improve wear.

So for smooth shifting, long life, go with the Dexron VI instead of the Mult-vehicle Synthetic. Gotcha. Guess I'll go to walmart or something tomorrow to find some.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Autozone around the corner carries Castrol Dexron VI Syn-Blend. Will this be just as good as the Supertech? (Walmart is a good half hour from here)

What drain interval are you planning for this new fluid?

Sounds like you want it to last, so I would pry open the wallet for the Amsoil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back