GM ATF FF, and best ATF for cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure 30k drain/fill intervals. The orginal transmission didn't have its fluid changed till 100,000 miles, and I want to attribute that to its shorter than usual lifespan. I'm hoping a very good fluid, with a reasonable change interval will help it last a very long time.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
The Autozone around the corner carries Castrol Dexron VI Syn-Blend. Will this be just as good as the Supertech? (Walmart is a good half hour from here)

All of the GM approved Dexron-VI fluids will perform identically. They all use the same Afton additive package. They may use different suppliers for the base oils, but the Dexron-VI specification does not allow for much variation in performance.

So, Castrol it is then. From what you said, I can go look up any Dexron VI VOA and it will be nigh identical to all others, correct?

Since for some reason it will not let me edit my previous post, am I right in assuming that the transmission with just shy of 6000 miles on it, won't need flushed? Which means that I will only need 4 quarts.... Which is, what, roughly 2/3 of the transaxle capacity? So most of the old oil will get out. Oh, I thought it was very interesting- I just looked at the paperwork for the transmission replacement, it said: Next service interval: March 09/ or 131,000 miles. What gives? It's a new transmission, why is there a service interval for it? Is it just for a checkup? Fluid change, maybe? Anyone have ANY clue? I plan on calling in that dealership in the morning, to find out for sure. But I'm hoping someobody on here might have a clue.

I run the standard Castrol Dexron III in the wife's 01 3speed. It drives just fine.... Probably will be good for another 100K.. rudo do you have a set of instructions for adjusting that TV cable?? I've wanted to check the wife's for awhile, but never have found a good set of instructions for it.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
I run the standard Castrol Dexron III in the wife's 01 3speed. It drives just fine.... Probably will be good for another 100K.. rudo do you have a set of instructions for adjusting that TV cable?? I've wanted to check the wife's for awhile, but never have found a good set of instructions for it.

Well now that the TV cable is back to normal, 1st-2nd is smooth, 2-3rd is usually the jerkier one now, but its fast, and just a quick jolt. Trust me, don't mess with the TV cable, unless something is broke. I found out the hard way. First time, it was all the way out. Didn't shift from 1st-2nd till 40mph under LIGHT acceleration. And it was VERY hard shift. Then, all the way in, shifted into 3rd gear at 10mph. Yeah. Finally got it back to regular because there is a wear mark on the cable.

But, if you are sure you want to screw around with it (I would recommend against it) This is how you do it. On yours, which has the newer 2200, one of the cables leading from the Throttle body has a small boxlike thing on it. One end of it has a button. It is very hard to press, but it is a button. I found that using a pair of vicegrips to hold down the button while adjusting works best. With mine, out=never shift in=shift way too soon. It should never need re-adjusted. Supposedly, the video I saw, maybe its just the newer ones, because with mine it didn't work this way. What you do is pull it all the way out, release it. Manually opening the throttle to WOT via the throttle valve, (Do not use accelerator pedal, as it can break) you should hear several clicking noises and the cable will pull back in. Mine didn't do this, and it ended up being a PITA to fix. Good luck, if you want to try it though.

If you have a tachometer, I believe the 3-speed should shift into 2nd at WOT at about 40-45mph (43 for me right now) at just over 5500RPM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped into AZ today, picked up 4 quarts of Valvoline Dexron VI Full Synthetic, new Filter/Gasket kit. Will put it in sometime after I get back to new york, in a week and couple days.

Quote:
Then, all the way in, shifted into 3rd gear at 10mph. Yeah
LAWL Would have liked to have gone for a ride with you when it was like that.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: brian12
Quote:
Then, all the way in, shifted into 3rd gear at 10mph. Yeah
LAWL Would have liked to have gone for a ride with you when it was like that.
LOL.gif

It definitely was a smooth shift Lol. But acceleration was near nonexistant. Good for gas mileage though. Right now, 1st-2nd=~20mph, 2nd-3rd=~32mph

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back