GM and Mobil 1

I see they're still pushing it. Someone mentioned the C8 recommends M1. They have been pushing M1 for decades.

I wonder if it's political or based on testing.

I see they're still pushing it. Someone mentioned the C8 recommends M1. They have been pushing M1 for decades.

They have an R&D partnership, as do many other brands.

- For ages Ford "recommended" Castrol because they were their partner
- Mercedes AMG "recommends" Mobil 1 because that's their partner
- Porsche "recommends" Mobil 1 because that's their partner
- BMW recommends Castrol because that's their partner
- Ferrari recommends Shell because that's their partner

There are many others.

Both. My Dad was a GM engineer in the Allison Engine Company. He worked closely with Exxon Mobil engineers on aircraft engines and always talked about how highly he and GM respected EXOM and their products' performance and their engineering capacity, particularly in meeting very challenging specifications.

Not based on politics or testing results. It's all money. GM pushes M1 as the recommended oil which generates more sales for M1, and in return M1 sells oil to GM at a ridiculous discount. Win-win. That's a partnership.

Not based on politics or testing results. It's all money. GM pushes M1 as the recommended oil which generates more sales for M1, and in return M1 sells oil to GM at a ridiculous discount. Win-win. That's a partnership.
Exactly, GM uses Mobil products and in return Mobil cuts GM's cost way down. Imagine all the gallons sold in all the millions of vehicles sold. Then top that with everyone following what GM recommends and even more Mobil gets sold. Corvette and Camaro owners not wanting to change, even though there are other products out there that would serve just as well.

To me if the fluid was spec'ed correctly in the first place it wouldn't have needed to be reformulated. Just GM going with the lowest cost possible and it cost them.
The original specified ATF was the standard GM ATF Dexron VI, so it wasn't that they cheaped out. After the 8 speed transmission was put in service it was determined that it was sensitive to moisture in the transmission fluid and the Mobil 1 LV ATF did not attract moisture like Dexron VI. No other GM transmissions that use Dexron VI (and there are millions of them) had this same problem. And yes, I have a GM 8 speed that had the problem and it was cured by the Mobil 1 LV fluid.

It's not politics. It's money. I advertise for you. You give a discount on all fluids used in new cars. Look at Mopar. Mobil 1 for how long??? BAM>>>>>>Change to Pennzoil. Money honey and ads for free.

It's not politics. It's money. I advertise for you. You give a discount on all fluids used in new cars. Look at Mopar. Mobil 1 for how long??? BAM>>>>>>Change to Pennzoil. Money honey and ads for free.
Well, the change at Chrysler wasn't a decision made by Chrysler, it was one made by FIAT. They had a pre-existing relationship with SOPUS and when they bought Chrysler, they terminated the Mobil contract. Mobil wasn't very happy about that, and I believe that was the reason that up until quite recently that no Mobil 1 products carried any of the Chrysler approvals.

To me if the fluid was spec'ed correctly in the first place it wouldn't have needed to be reformulated. Just GM going with the lowest cost possible and it cost them.

We don't know that. You are speculating. Also-it wasn't all 8 speed transmissions.

Back