GM and Honda forming a Strategic Alliance

Looks like these two are back at it again. Only this time, instead of giving us the modern automotive marvel that was the Saturn Vue, it will be mostly focused on EV and other alternative powerplant platforms.

Link

Interesting. Domestics have long been accused of not being able to make a small car of any note, while imports have a much better following. Is this GM's way of dabbling in passenger cars still? CAFE shell game maybe? I mean, get some decent high mpg (or electrics) so as to get their average fleet mpg up.

Not sure what Honda gets out of the deal.

A traditional truck.

For me, the FWD/AWD Honda offering is really all I need as a suburban dweller.

I've heard Honda described as an Engine Company that happens to make cars. GM was a finance company that happened to make cars before spinning off GMAC.

So I wonder what car company they will get to actually make cars, LOL?

Interesting. Domestics have long been accused of not being able to make a small car of any note, while imports have a much better following. Is this GM's way of dabbling in passenger cars still? CAFE shell game maybe? I mean, get some decent high mpg (or electrics) so as to get their average fleet mpg up.

Even lower quality ..when GM and Toyota paired up Toyota seemed to go down hill.

GM’s EV tech is far more advanced than Honda.
Here’s their previous agreement from April. Honda will get new cars built on GM’s new EV platform and Ultium battery system.

I think a lot of the traditional automotive companies are worried the disruptors like Tesla might put them out of business, so they better partner up with someone else (strength in numbers).

Let's face it, a lot of traditional businesses made billions for years and now their future may be in Jeopardy.

GM had the EV1 and sent them all to the crushers. Does anyone remember that?

GM needs to leverage "Ultium" battery tech to get any ROI out of it in a reasonable time

Telsa has a decade on them and is already priftavble on EV only cars - no one else can come close to turning a profit here

GM needs all the partner it can get - smart move.

GM had the EV1 and sent them all to the crushers. Does anyone remember that?

Yup - cool car that people loved with way too little range to be practical as anything more than a in town short hopper
And the volt, and the bolt, they let Telsa get the jump on them when it should have been GM in the lead

I'm still mad at GM for letting itself go like that.

Dave

Reactions: JC1
Tesla is a great American company. It is great, at least to me, to see an American company disrupting, and now leading the world.
This is a reason I chose to support them, to be an early adopter. I will buy another one day.

Succeeding in spite of the obstacles, the naysayers and especially their own mistakes is a purely "only in America" story.

It's an incredible story - the whole world told him he couldn't pull it off.
As you know Im a fan, and when I travel abroad I get to make fun of even the Germans now for building an American car company in germany.

As a guy that owned a bunch of GM stock I watched guys like Lutz make ludicrous bold declarations without actually doing the homework all the while my investment in GM sank.

Right now developing electric vehicles is very costly and the returns are minimal, in short electric vehicles are giant money pits. Tesla has been (until just recently) burning through billions of dollars in investment money on the promise that they will rule the sector and reap the awards in the future. That may or may not happen but the "traditional manufacturers" don't have the luxury of utilizing this strategy so sharing electric development costs slows the bleeding. Car buyers won't care or know that the platform of their new Volt is shared with a Honda, just like Dodge and GM truck buyers didn't know or care that their NV manual transmissions where shared. Ford and GM's 6 speed shared automatics, and now 10 speed automatics are another example.

A traditional truck.

For me, the FWD/AWD Honda offering is really all I need as a suburban dweller.

I've heard Honda described as an Engine Company that happens to make cars. GM was a finance company that happened to make cars before spinning off GMAC.

So I wonder what car company they will get to actually make cars, LOL?
GM in its heyday was 40 divisions- from locomotives to dish washers. Each was at the top of every market they were in. They owned more than 50% of the US car market, for example. Roger Smith took over as CEO and it all went downhill after that and they gave him $1million/yr retirement to leave, IIRC.

GM in its heyday was 40 divisions- from locomotives to dish washers. Each was at the top of every market they were in. They owned more than 50% of the US car market, for example. Roger Smith took over as CEO and it all went downhill after that and they gave him $1million/yr retirement to leave, IIRC.
I remember the GM refrigerators.

Frigidaire- they were the best. Sold to China but kept the name. Now, bargain bin, imo
The Swedish(Electrolux) own Frigidaire now - it was White-Westinghouse which was regarded by Consumer Reports to be junk. WCI was bought out by Electrolux but wasn’t fully integrated until the 2000s. But the Swedish have always been nerdy or sci-fi; Volvo, Saab, IKEA and I wouldn’t doubt if Star Wars had a Swedish connection to it.

GE Appliances is Chinese - Haier.

but anyways, this is a win-win for Honda and GM. Toyota already spanked Honda when it came to hybrids and GM has something they want - BEVs. But Toyota is becoming a relic - if they made an BEV successor to the Prius and not the flop named the Mirai and killed off the Prius brand, there would be no Tesla.

I hope they come up with something great. Competition benefits the consumer.
Elon Musk is talking about a $20K car loosly based on the Model 3.

Tesla is so far ahead of the pack. Get crackin GM/Honda!

Honda recently reported (search online for proof) that they only were making a 3% profit margin on their automotive division. They've even excessively raised all their parts and accessories prices as of July this year to make money off of us existing Honda owners. They are in trouble financially after years of following not leading with innovation.. Their powersports division is around 13% profit margins (much more healthy). Everyone can remember the Honda of the 80s/90s, no one could touch their engineering. Except maybe rust prevention,lol.. This company has continued to decline in any one category, they won't even fix, or know how to fix the fuel dilution issue on their recent engines (1.5T, etc), for example.

I'm not surprised they're desperate and asking for GM's help.. Which is like asking a drowning man to help you not drown! Honda is being guided by some very dumb people.. but hey that's my opinion.. Guess GM was the only one left that didn't have an "alliance".

Back