GM / ACDelco rebranding campaign

From the Greensheet trade publication: The global rebranding of GM Genuine Parts and ACDelco has entered its next phase with the launch of a new marketing campaign designed to reinforce the importance of using OE parts. The debut follows the introduction of new packaging in North America last fall.

GM made in Mexico and chinesium ACD parts, NOS parts for me. Never understood the different grades of parts.
I like the japs- the replacement part you buy is the same or better than went on the car in the first place- $$ tho.

Their new packaging tripped me up for a bit when I received a new AC Delco cartridge filter for my Colorado through Amazon. The multiple languages, graphic design and light printing made me think I had gotten some third world knock off copy. Took some digging around to find out about the change.

Well, if the brand can actually match reality, and the parts become consistently more reliable, then the rebranding will have value. If it’s just slapping some good words and font on 2nd tier components, it’s a flop.

Changing packaging without changing the product is common, no big deal there. The various grades of ACDelco is another topic all together (I think they need to differentiate the names more - too many people think it's all the same).

What gets on my nerves is they are focusing on this cosmetic branding stuff when they can't get parts to customers! How about getting some of these supply chain and distribution issues sorted out, then worry about freshening up the packages?

...new marketing campaign designed to reinforce the importance of using OE parts.

OE parts made in China?

I could care less about packaging, so long as there's a quality part in there that's worth the money. Not a Cloyes part made in China and sold for $10 in Cloyes packaging, but sold for $30 in an ACDelco box with the same machining marks on it.

Heck I feel like I won the lottery when and IF I buy an ACDelco part made outside of China.

I recently bought 4 oil filters (all made in USA) and two air filters (one made in Mexico and the other made in Japan) for various GM vehicles...AC Delco parts from Rock Auto...

Bill

Changing packaging without changing the product is common, no big deal there. The various grades of ACDelco is another topic all together (I think they need to differentiate the names more - too many people think it's all the same).

What gets on my nerves is they are focusing on this cosmetic branding stuff when they can't get parts to customers! How about getting some of these supply chain and distribution issues sorted out, then worry about freshening up the packages?
I have more parts on backorder now than I ever have in my experience with Ford. Just ordered a keyfob for a new Mach E, on backorder, NO ETA, no dealers stock.

I have more parts on backorder now than I ever have in my experience with Ford. Just ordered a keyfob for a new Mach E, on backorder, NO ETA, no dealers stock.

Yeah this is just insane.

Things haven't been normal with GM/ACDelco since the UAW strike in 2019, then covid hit, and now anytime anything happens PDCs will just shut down for weeks at a time and it takes forever for them to clear the resulting backlog. I'm waiting on a headlamp that shipped from Michigan and has been sitting on the Mississippi crossdock since the 26th. Just sitting. We are supposed to get parts overnight from that PDC but apparently they just let parts that have to come in from other PDCs pile up on the dock there and they get to them whenever. At least their backorder situation is improving, somewhat.

Kia is crashing and burning too. We have about 200 parts on backorder, and to top it off, the dealer website that is vitally important to our ability to function hasn't worked right in weeks! Somehow they still manage to crank out and sell cars, but can't provide essential parts to service them, or information to tell customers waiting on having their cars repaired. We had about five windshields on backorder for Safelite for about 3-5 months! Then they have their consumer affairs people call us for updates...GIVE CONSUMER AFFAIRS A WEB DCS LOGIN SO THEY CAN WAIT ON IT TO LOAD LIKE I DO! It's ridiculous. I don't care what the packaging looks like anymore (Kia has been changing some of theirs too), just get me an undamaged saleable part so OUR customer who paid for a K900 isn't looking raggedy with a broken windshield for 5 months.

Back