GM 75w-90 Synth, As good as other synth gear oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gmctodd
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
The Autotrak II fluid was for the electronic( ie; dash control to shift )t-case. 1/2 tons only I believe.

Per my GM dealer the autotrak II fluid is for transfer cases that switch automatically between 2 and 4 wheel drive (button labeled AUTO) not the electric shift models in 2500 HD pickups

I was unware the HD models had anything but a manual floor shifter? When I say "electric shift" I am referring to the push button or knob( NBS )on the dash in the 1/2 tons. Yes, those with the AUTO 4WD option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I'm talking Canadian Dollars, so you can reduce that price by another 20% or so.

We usually pay around $10 per oil filter and about $20 for the spin on trans filter. The synthetic gear oil usually runs close to $30 and Mobil 1 synth retails for around $18. Not sure about the autotrac II, but as it turns out, that's not the fluid for my transfer case after all. Looks like its Dex VI.
I just bought some auto-trak fluid a couple weeks ago from a local GM dealer and I paid $9 per liter, thats Canadian funds.

Originally Posted By: gmctodd
The Autotrak II fluid was for the electronic( ie; dash control to shift )t-case. 1/2 tons only I believe.

Per my GM dealer the autotrak II fluid is for transfer cases that switch automatically between 2 and 4 wheel drive (button labeled AUTO) not the electric shift models in 2500 HD pickups

I was unware the HD models had anything but a manual floor shifter? When I say "electric shift" I am referring to the push button or knob( NBS )on the dash in the 1/2 tons. Yes, those with the AUTO 4WD option.

My 2500 HD has push button shift on the dash, 3 buttons (2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Lo) very rare to see a manual shift (lever on floor) around here anymore! My GF's Envoy has a knob 2Hi,AUTO,4Hiand4Lo. It requires the autotrak II fluid

In summary, it appears that if your GM transfer case has an "AUTO" selection, then it uses the Autotrak II.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
In summary, it appears that if your GM transfer case has an "AUTO" selection, then it uses the Autotrak II.

Of course, if I was brighter, I would simply have looked at the owner's manual.

We had some HD2500's at work with manual TC and floor shift but they were basic work trucks that were fleet ordered. If you try to option a truck with anything but basic features, it will force the automatic TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back