GM: 300 million investment in Flint

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM to pour 300 million into Flint plant
GM expected to announce Flint investment Monday

"General Motors Co. is expected to announce Monday it will invest about $300 million to build a new full-size truck at its Flint Assembly plant, according to sources familiar with the plans.

The investment will create or retain hundreds of jobs, the sources said.

GM spokeswoman Kim Carpenter declined to comment other than to say: "We have some exciting news and we look forward to sharing it on Monday," when company and union executives have scheduled a morning news conference in Flint.

GM Labor Relations Vice President Cathy Clegg and United Auto Workers Vice President Joe Ashton are expected to attend the announcement.

Detroit-based GM builds full-size and heavy-duty trucks at the factory in Flint, including the Silverado HD and Sierra HD.

The plant employs 2,000 workers on two shifts; a third shift of 750 workers is to be added in this quarter."

Last edited by a moderator:
Something overpriced I'm sure. Flint is a hellhole, and it does need jobs, but I don't think this is gonna create any, which Flint needs, just save some.

Flint. Birthplace of the UAW. This is where the seeds of GM's destruction were sown in 1933.
It was a hellhole when I went to school there 30 years ago.
It's a hellhole now.
GM should move all the jobs out of there and bulldoze it flat.
Of course they won't do any such thing, now that they are controlled by the gummint and the UAW.

But I do find it interesting that they are adding a third shift to build more full-size pickup trucks after all the hype we've heard about the Volt and other economy cars. American's are voting with their pocketbooks, and they're buying large vehicles, despite the price of fuel.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Flint. Birthplace of the UAW. This is where the seeds of GM's destruction were sown in 1933.
It's a hellhole now.
Of course they won't do any such thing, now that they are controlled by the gummint and the UAW.

But I do find it interesting that they are adding a third shift to build more full-size pickup trucks after all the hype we've heard about the Volt and other economy cars. American's are voting with their pocketbooks, and they're buying large vehicles, despite the price of fuel.

GM won't leave Flint, likely because they have a nothing-wrong-with-it assembly plat that produces quality vehicles, location being a hellhole or not. NOT because they are controlled by the "gummint" (Your words, not mine)

And yes, Americans are still buying trucks. The F-series is still the top selling vehicles in the US, due to both retail and fleet sales. But still, GM is selling as many volts as they make.

Also, FWIW when I was in ohio, I went to that Kalahari resort with my cousin and her friends, and our server at the restraunt was from Flint. He was a very nice guy, and he talked about the area and that it was pretty bad, but the people that worked at the plant (down the road from him) loved their jobs and took pride in it.
21.gif

Last edited:
Those third shift trucks will be a great surge in profit, with the tooling already in place and what not. If gas prices eventually get in the way of truck sales, they can scale back easily too.

It's a hellhole now.

You went to school in Flint?

Did you attend Kettering? A few of my extended family members are graduates of the GM Institute(Kettering) as well.

You do realize that Kettering is one of the best engineering schools in the nation, right? Ranked #1 and #2 in a couple of engineering fields. Seems odd for someone who apparently has some semblance of understanding of the extensive intertwined history of Flint/Durant/Buick/GM to suggest we bulldoze it flat.

Perhaps if people who make ignorant suggestions like bulldozing entire populations and their homes out of existence, DID something instead of complaining, things might change in Flint. GM is doing their part, what are you and Michael Moore going to do to help the cause? I know Michael is busy in his mansion on Torch Lake, he took what he could from Flint and abandoned it, sounds like you did about the same. In my book you are both part of the problem, not willing or able to become a part of the solution. Meanwhile chastising those who are attempting to bring about change...shame on you and your ignorant suggestion to bulldoze the City.

btw...What City do you live in now?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Finally some good news!

I wonder what the new truck is?

You mean new trucks.

And new engines....that's all I'm allowed to say.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick R
It's a hellhole now.

GM won't leave Flint, likely because they have a nothing-wrong-with-it assembly plat that produces quality vehicles, location being a hellhole or not. NOT because they are controlled by the "gummint" (Your words, not mine)

And yes, Americans are still buying trucks. The F-series is still the top selling vehicles in the US, due to both retail and fleet sales. But still, GM is selling as many volts as they make.

Also, FWIW when I was in ohio, I went to that Kalahari resort with my cousin and her friends, and our server at the restraunt was from Flint. He was a very nice guy, and he talked about the area and that it was pretty bad, but the people that worked at the plant (down the road from him) loved their jobs and took pride in it.
21.gif

Downtown Flint is bad, the Burbs around it are fine.....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Finally some good news!

You mean new trucks.

smile.gif

Hey Dave...if you know...is the Flint Engine assembly of the ecotec for the Cruze/Volt ramped up to full speed yet?

Finally some good news!

You mean new trucks.

smile.gif

Dave has the inside information! Hold him down!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Finally some good news!

You mean new trucks.

smile.gif

Hey Dave...if you know...is the Flint Engine assembly of the ecotec for the Cruze/Volt ramped up to full speed yet?

Getting there....

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Finally some good news!

You mean new trucks.

smile.gif

Getting there....

It certainly is, I would think, because my Cruze (and my dad's) have engines and transmissions from the US. I have the window sticker here maybe i'll post it in the "vidoes" post.

LT4...funny you should chime in. When I read the previous comment I instantly recalled when you said essentially the same thing about Detroit not too long ago.

If you havent figured it out yet, the buildings are not the problem. In Detroit for example there are architectural treasures throughout the City. Same thing in Flint, many buildings worthy of investment and maintenance. In fact, men with vision are currently snapping them up for future redevelopment. They'll get rich while the simple mided "bull dozer" crowd will miss yet another opportunity.

A recent completed project example would be the former Book Cadillac building, a fantastic throwback to a time when craftsmenship still ruled the construction trades. To build that same building today would cost a prohibitive amount, instead we get glass and steel, cookie cutter looking [censored]!

Outside of the commercial buildings and into the neighborhoods. I'm fairly certain your understanding of Detroit goes about as far as can be learned from a you tube video. No argument at all, there are plenty of homes that need to be eliminated, and they are slowly going about that business. The City is tearing down homes at a decent rate finally...as they do present a crime problem. But and it's a huge but, what those you tube videos never seem to show are the houses in between. What I mean is almost every neighborhood has those that have held on...the good honest working men and women who take pride in their homes and maintain them as such. Many neighborhoods have far more nice homes than run down ones, and some neighborhoods just the opposite, with many run down abandoned homes. The point is that targeted tear downs make sense...but you and I both know that wasn't what was intended...just more of the same "push Detroit into the River", "bulldoze it flat" short sighted thinking.

Let me ask you this LT4Vette...if your dog gets fleas, do you shoot your dog, or clean up the fleas?

I like to see building properly saved but not to the interest of some maintenance company run by union mob. It is always cheaper to save a building than to build a new one and I wouldn't trust newly built buildings.

If GM builds a good truck, I'll buy it. I always like GM trucks over Ford as far as exterior design, specially their choice of dual headlight housing instead of Ford's single housing. I wouldn't buy a new vehicle that has single headlight housing.

Sure, from what I have seen on the internet and You Tube that area has some architectural treasures throughout the city.... but there is a time in which some buildings become an eyesore and simply needs to be torn down (that goes for any city in the USA).

If you restore old buildings / houses / schools /warehouses...etc and put it to good use then its a good thing. But if you let old abandoned dilapidated structures standing with graffiti, litter and vandalism only for the sake of reminiscing about times in the past then its bad and the city needs to bulldoze those eyesores. And yes, I did make a comment about bulldozing it a few months ago.

I would not shoot my dog cause she has fleas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back