GM 3.6L DI Engine for an 09 Traverse; F Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed out the FF at 935 km (560 miles). FWIW (and probly not much) the OLM read 93% and the oil coming out was pitch black; mostly city driving.

As replacement I used Q Horsepower 5W30 (great sale price of $22 CDN for 4.4 L/4.65 qrts). And again the filter is the AC Delco PF48.

So with these #s when would you change out this fill?

FirstUOAofTraverse-1.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I did an early drain at 3,000 miles with a new engine.

An oil change at 550 miles is ridiculous, and doing an UOA is even more ridiculous. Oh well.

I go by the OLM, GM has invested a lot of engineering in it and it is usually right on. The one thing it can't take into consideration is the air/dust conditions, so if you drive onb dusty roads change out early (watch silicon (dust/dirt) in your UOA).

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
An oil change at 550 miles is ridiculous, and doing an UOA is even more ridiculous. Oh well.

Yikes. A little harsh. Think of me as helping contribute to a body of knowledge on BITOG. I thought it might be interesting to see #s in a FF for an engine that has appeared very rarely on BITOG in the UOA section at least. And seeing silcon for example over 100...Id rather not have that in the oil for several more months.

(I also realized that I still had some prepaid basic i.e. no TBN Blackstone Analyses from a while back).

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

The one thing it can't take into consideration is the air/dust conditions, so if you drive onb dusty roads change out early (watch silicon (dust/dirt) in your UOA).

In this instance the silicon has nothing to do with road conditions as it is driven in the city.

Last edited:
I don't think an early UOA is ridiculous, I think it is smart for any engine. It shows just how "bad" things are in terms of wear metals, silicon, etc., and also keeps an early eye out for a coolant leak or similar issue.

So your engine is Direct Injected???

Very interesting considering all the issues with European DI engines, and what they are doing to the oil. Your flashpoint is fine and there is not much fuel in there - whereas some Di engines are showing lowered flashpoint and unusable oil at 1000 miles!

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So your engine is Direct Injected???

Yes. And this report might be the first of the DI engine from a Lambda platform.

Last edited:
Considering the issues these 3.6L engines are experiencing in the oil analysis area. Having one done early is a good idea, especially with the DI. I have been not able to go past 4k miles with our 08 Acadia 3.6 since new and have been following Terry Dyson's recommendations from day one. There is an issue with this perticular engine and hopefully Terry and I will figure it out. For some reason it is beating the [censored] out of the oil. I'm sending in another oil sample today. Can't wait to see where I stand this time. My engine has 35k on it so it should be well past the break in point.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
I'm sending in another oil sample today. Can't wait to see where I stand this time.

For sure I am looking forward to seeing your latest results. Please post ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back