GM 3.6 oil filter comparison: ACDelco, Supertech, and Tough Guard

So the Fram TG is the only one rated up to 15,000 miles and is the only one with a plastic cage. Hmmm...
Yes - that is an interesting point. Their XG8765 is also plastic (ends and cage) and rated for a lot of miles. It's too bad they don't put the XG media in a metal cartridge...

The high temperature nylon ecore centertubes are better than they use to be when they first came out. Don't really see any issues with them these days.

The high temperature nylon ecore centertubes are better than they use to be when they first came out. Don't really see any issues with them these days.
I'm actually using the XG8765 right now but am always a little leery of them. They seem to work well so far but always the "what if" thoughts of my engine running hot, the rare cracked nylon, etc. I realize those issues are very unlikely and I would have bigger problems if my engine got hot, but it's hard to get past these thoughts...especially when lower cost options have the metal parts.

Yes - that is an interesting point. Their XG8765 is also plastic (ends and cage) and rated for a lot of miles. It's too bad they don't put the XG media in a metal cartridge...
I've had no problems with plastic end caps on my cartridge filters (which have no cage). Ones with no end caps are even better, in several respects.

Surprised to see the Fram originating from China. I would stay clear of it for that reason but the STech looks very impressive.

Surprised to see the Fram originating from China. I would stay clear of it for that reason but the STech looks very impressive.
The Fram TG10358 cartridge I used said it was from China. It appeared very well made and had no problems in 25k+ miles. Was grossly overpriced for a small, simple Chinese filter, though...

^^^ Fram might farm out odd-ball filters to manufacturers in China and other COOs.

If you're ok with ACDelco filters, there is no reason not to go with the Supertech. Champ makes ac delco and supertech, they're the same **** filter. It's really a no brainer to get the Supertech for the price. For the PF64, I wasn't confident the Supertech filter had the higher bypass, so I went ACdelco. Looking at both the PF64 and the ST10575 they actually looked different. Its the same thing with "Great Value" ketchup, who do you think makes it? Well its newsflash its Heinz. OEMs dont care because they know a certain percentage of people will buy the name brand.
The ST10575 is not the same as its PF63E cross. Super Tech uses Champs bypass/antidrain back
combo valve, ACDelco uses a traditional endcap poppet valve. GM doesnt like those combo valves. That for me is enough to make me choose the Delco unit.

^^^ Yesh, I dont trust those combo ADBV/bypass valves either.

^^^ Fram might farm out odd-ball filters to manufacturers in China and other COOs.
Obviously they do "farm out" some cartridges. Neither 3.6L GM nor 1.8L Toyota engines are exactly rare odd-balls. I see clues that they "farm out" the Extra Guard 10358 to another US manufacturer.

Back