GM 3.6 / 2.5 small truck question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the latest GM 3.6 engines still eat timing chains? Starting a search for a new small truck and was wondering about this engine (the 2.5 engine too). The Colorado / Canyon twins look ok and are priced ok, can anybody weigh in on how they're doing? If they're reliable I'd even go low rent and check out an extended cab manual trans 2.5. just keep costs in line as Az license fees are pure extortion.

My friend has the diesel Canyon Denali and it's an awesome little truck. He drives more in a month than most people drive in a year. 0 problems. I don't know much about the 2.5 vs 3.6 but I can tell you right now from owning an Escape V6 and now an Escape with a 2.5L four cylinder that the V6 was better in every way and MPG was very close due to how hard the four cylinder has to work. GM has redesigned the timing chains so many times now that I wouldn't worry about it in a newer one. Just use a full synthetic Dexos1Gen2 oil every 7500mi or the oil life monitor, whichever is sooner, and you'll probably be fine forever.

This is supposed to be fixed like 4 times now. At some point you have to ask do you feel lucky.

As posted here, DI engines have abrasive soot problems. And other long cam chain lots of plastic cam guide vehicles have can drive system problems.

They still have the extended warranty.

I would want a pushrod V6 like the 4.3 chevy or 3.8 buick. But of course then the magazine would gripe. Those writers do the industry no service, and should be ignored. I am not buying a race car, I need reliability. I do not need touch screens, OHC V6 10 speed transmissions etc.

So i guess the I4 is it.

Rod

Last edited:
if you want the best bang for your $$$$ a Nissan Frontier is IT. you can get their great torquey V-6 + some manuals are still available. their 4 banger is NOT DI as is the V-6 not DI a plus IMO, but although i never drove their 4 banger. i know the girlfriends 13 LS malibu uses the oil drinking 2.5 DI GM engine. i don't see a lot of complaints on oil consumption on malibu form for that but malibus have many other issues. when i totaled my reliable 08 LS colorado 2.9L 5 spd manual standard cab i cried as except for being a bit down on power i loved that little truck. looking in the new colorados they look smaller than the preowned nissan frontier SV i bought. i recommend driving both. Taco's aka toyota is another option but crazy expensive + about the size of an older ford ranger, happy shopping.

I've got a 15 that hasn't been the best ownership experience, but speaking for myself, and the guys on the ColoradoFans forum, I haven't heard of any timing chain issues. The prevalent issues I keep seeing on the forum, and on my truck, are transmission programming on the 3.6 / 6-speed auto, longevity and durability of the Diesel engine (a few let go for no apparent reason), a noisy front seal on the transfer case, defective leather seat covers, rough idle on the 3.6, hood flutter, and shuddering in the newer 8-speed autos.

I've had the driver's seat cover replaced under warranty, several recalls performed while it was there, the front seal in the transfer case replaced twice in 40,000 miles for a loud squeak, and most recently had the "chugging" issue fixed with the 6-speed transmission programming, which despite being a TSB for the 2015s, having been released in May 2018, they charged me for it because I was beyond 3/36. IMO, that fix should've been free, as it was a programming issue that existed since the build date.

I went ahead and bought a new bottom seat cover for the driver's seat a few weeks ago in an anticipation of a re-occurrence of the side cracking, while they're still available from GM. I found out the hard way with my '05 Sport Trac that if you wait to long to order certain trim items (seat cushions, in this case), they go out of production and are impossible to find new.

It's a nice truck and overall not a regrettable purchase, but GM could've done some things better.

Canyon.jpg

Do yourself a favor and buy a fullsize. I made that mistake once and you lose the capability and gain a little fuel mileage with a compact truck. Not worth it IMO.

Thanks for the replies guys. Scratch GM off the list. And benjy hit the nail on the head, Frontiers are a bit dated but that's a good thing. No DI, 5 speed auto trans and plenty of time to work out the bugs (like 10+ years). Plus my dad just traded in his problem free ‘10 Exterra (basically same power train) with 80k miles and I can guarantee you it got no more than oil changes but always ran great. So, off I go to check out the Nissan dealers web sites to see what they have going on.....

Never had any timing chain issues in 4 3.6L motors in 2 STS and 2 CTS.

The biggest issue is if the oil gets low it starts to starve the timing chain. If you keep it topped off you should have any issues. GMs fix was to make the oil change monitor to come on sooner. People don;t check their oil enough and do longer drain intervals and here ya go.

I'd have no issue buying one. The 2 STS went over 180k and the other around 200k with no timing chain issues.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Do yourself a favor and buy a fullsize. I made that mistake once and you lose the capability and gain a little fuel mileage with a compact truck. Not worth it IMO.

Depends where you live. Drive a little further north to NoVA. Even the parking spaces at HD near me people in full size trucks have a hard time getting in and out. I got rid of my Titan for my Dakota due to not being able to drive it easily or park everywhere.

I have a 2017 GMC Canyon V6 and have put 34,000 miles on it since new. The only issue I have had is the 8 speed transmission shudder. After a torque converter replacement I have not had that problem. I get around 25 mpg average in suburban/rural driving. I don't tow anything heavier than a utility trailer with a zero turn mower and I find the mid size truck to be just the right size. The truck has plenty of get up and go.

There have no reports of timing chain issues on this redesigned V6 on the forums. If you look at a cutaway comparing the LGX engine to the LFX the timing chains are completely different. This is GM's explanation: "Camshaft drive: all-new, with a simpler design featuring two chains and six sprockets vs. the previous three chains and nine sprockets, with lower chain loads, which enhances durability. The lower tension of the chain drive, along with cushioned ring sprockets, also reduces noise and vibration."

The Dex 1 Gen 2 oils have been formulated with DI and timing chain wear in mind. Drive a Canyon or Colorado and compare to a Frontier before you decide.

GM could but Timing Gears on the 3.6L (Completely eliminate the chains altogether)......And internet would still say that it has timing chain issues! Mechanical issues can be fixed/re-engineered......But a bad reputation lasts forever!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by clinebarger
GM could but Timing Gears on the 3.6L (Completely eliminate the chains altogether)......And internet would still say that it has timing chain issues! Mechanical issues can be fixed/re-engineered......But a bad reputation lasts forever!

I mean , I have friends who work for GM and are replacing them on new vehicles.

I would assume they know what model year vehicle they are repairing ...

Don't get a Frontier! We have one for work and they truly suck. I don't think we're even at 100k and we've had to do a bunch of work to the truck.

Plus, the horrible interior is falling apart.

And it rides and drives like the 15 year old turd it is. My 1995 Chevy with 277K is a more pleasant ride than the Frontier. And the Family has brand new shocks and tires.

Originally Posted by dogememe
My friend has the diesel Canyon Denali and it's an awesome little truck. He drives more in a month than most people drive in a year. 0 problems. I don't know much about the 2.5 vs 3.6 but I can tell you right now from owning an Escape V6 and now an Escape with a 2.5L four cylinder that the V6 was better in every way and MPG was very close due to how hard the four cylinder has to work. GM has redesigned the timing chains so many times now that I wouldn't worry about it in a newer one. Just use a full synthetic Dexos1Gen2 oil every 7500mi or the oil life monitor, whichever is sooner, and you'll probably be fine forever.

Which diesel engines does GM put in the small trucks ? Any idea what fuel mileage they get ?

Thanks , :)

On the average , how much cheaper ar the small trucks to purchase , compared to full size ?

Thanks , :)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those timing chains look like a nightmare ! :-(

If I had one of those , I would certainly change the oil frequently / regular . And avoid high RPM .

Now , if you trade every 2 - 3 years , probably will never be an issue to the original owner .

That's my take too. I get it that some folks have specific garage fitting requirements and whatnot, but in terms of the overall vehicle, the same money can buy you a full sized.

If a "small" truck is a must, I agree on the Nissan Frontier comment above. The only thing I hate on the Frontiers is the turning radius and the fuel economy.

Originally Posted by Miller88
They have not fixed the timing chain issues. '18 MY 3.6s are starting to have issues.

Mother has 3.6 in Impala 2012 no problems with engine tho new formula Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 will not go the OLM. Her's has 125k or thereabouts and since last 2 oil changes it is using oil. Last oil change it was the consistency of syrup and that is with 28% left on OLM or about 7k. I afraid if we don't shorten oil changes or go with different oil manufacturer if she agrees the chains could take out motor. Owned since 20k so she got 100k trouble free out of motor until now.

Originally Posted by Miller88
GM could put Timing Gears on the 3.6L (Completely eliminate the chains altogether)......And internet would still say that it has timing chain issues! Mechanical issues can be fixed/re-engineered......But a bad reputation lasts forever!

I mean , I have friends who work for GM and are replacing them on new vehicles.

I would assume they know what model year vehicle they are repairing ...

What new vehicles? I thought my pictures with the applications printed in the lower right corner would clarify that there are TWO different chain set-ups used on the 3.6L at the moment.

The Colorado/Canyon uses the latest design, While your friends know what year model they're working on......Do YOU know what MODELS they're referring to?? Even then you may need to know the engine code as a 2018 Cadillac CTS can have either a LF3 Twin Turbo with the latest set-up or a LGX N/A with the older set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back