GM 3.1L starter motor, remote repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

Hi,

My daughter is off at college with a Pontiac Gran Prix, 1998. I'm heading down ther later today (90 minutes away) to do what I hope is a starter motor replacement. So I'm loading my car with all the tools I think I could possibly need. I've got all the basics... My question would be, is there anything with this repair that is a "gotcha", that I need to plan for?

10 mm wrench, 10mm socket, 8mm socket, 13mm socket (all 1/4" drive) as well as a 15mm socket, 6" extenion and 3/8 ratchet

Good, thanks. I think it should be fairly straightforward as long as it's accessible. I'm planning to use jackstands because I can't drive the car up on ramps.

Should be darn easy.

Before you start, kick it, to see if you can shake the brushes loose, so you could drive it up on ramps. Of course then you have to pack ramps and stands. But maybe you could move the car to a more advantageous parking spot.

For that matter, bring a tow strap.

I own one similar to that but rarely think to grab it unless the battery is in a really tight space and I don't want to risk a short. For me the 8mm socket and ratchet are usually closer.

Those battery posts always seem to be mauled, to me. Either from previous idiots over tightening them or aggressive clamping from jumper cables.

Oddly the open end wrenches hold better than especially a 12 pt 8mm boxed end wrong size wrench.

BTW, they're a great example of how an all-metric car isn't really all metric.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Those battery posts always seem to be mauled, to me. Either from previous idiots over tightening them or aggressive clamping from jumper cables.

Oddly the open end wrenches hold better than especially a 12 pt 8mm boxed end wrong size wrench.

BTW, they're a great example of how an all-metric car isn't really all metric.
wink.gif

You seem to be implying that there is a difference between 5/16" and 8mm wrenches. I have always used them interchangeably, just like 3/4" and 19mm. I need to take a close look at my 5/16 and 8mm wrenches.

^ I need to get a six-point, 8mm wrench to compare to my 6 pt 5/16 that's my go-to battery tool. As well as a magnifying glass to check for rounding off on my existing bolts. 5/16"=7.9mm, so there must be more to the story than .1mm of slop. I suspect the battery bolts are made of grade 2 steel so they strip the tiny hex heads before ruining the side post threads (made of lead) on a $120 battery.

Inversely, I've used a 5/16" socket on 8mm oil pan bolts and it fits fantastically. Garagejournal did a test on this a while back and the consensus was tools were made slightly oversize so they'd fit over fasteners, but the slop here is too much IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back