GM 3.1L OLM and green GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeaconBlue, I can imagine that at 7.5k miles on a RESET OLM, you would only have maybe a MAX of 2000 miles before the light came on. (Due to the highway driving). The GC can handle this, easily.

Think of it this way... If you've gone 7.5K miles without seeing the light come on, and the system is calibrated for DINO oil.... (I don't know how to finish this sentence, but you get what I mean)

The wife's OLM light went on in her '00 3.4L Grand AM after only 5.7K miles with green GC in the crank case. First time with green GC in that engine. Before I was running a "witch's brew" of 0w-30 and 15w-50 Mobil (no I hadn't simply tried the 0w-40 Mobil 1). The intake gasket problem has already been fixed on that engine. No, I have not had any UOA done or taken a sample yet. Over this time period she was off work and did a lot of short trips. I added maybe 1/3 to 1/2 quart total during this period. I use the larger PF52 size Mobil 1 filters.

IIRC, the GM OLM software was redone for the '01 and later model years. I have a '01 3.1L Century that I have never seen the OLM light come on (yes the bulb works) but 65-70% of my miles are freeway. I have use 7.5K miles as my limit for GC in that engine.

I am trying to decide if I should change the green GC out at 6K miles in the '00 3.4L Grand Am, reset the OLM and see what it will show the next time since she is now back to work and the trips are some what longer. Or would it be best to order some UOA kits, check the oil during this change and then use that is a guide in the future? If so, then I should do the same with the '01 3.1L Century, correct?

What sounds more resonable? I only have about 77 quarts of green GC left (about 17 changes) and I don't want to "waste" it by changing the it out too soon.

BTW, where do I order the UOA kits at?

TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back