GM 3.1L crankshaft pulley separated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

OK, on my daughter's Pontiac the crankshaft pulley has a outer ring that essentially separated itself from the inner portion of the pulley! I don't see any way of putting it back on there, except... glue? What the...

I often see them develop enough runout to throw off the belt.

Crank pulleys aren't repairable. Replacement is the only option.

Yeah, it already threw off the belt. Amazingly, we drove it five miles home while the belt had no tension whatsoever.

Any tips for getting the remainder of the crank pulley off there? I got the bolt off, but the rest doesn't want to budge.

Originally Posted By: crw
Yeah, it already threw off the belt. Amazingly, we drove it five miles home while the belt had no tension whatsoever.

Any tips for getting the remainder of the crank pulley off there? I got the bolt off, but the rest doesn't want to budge.

Do you have a proper crankshaft pulley removal tool?

I never had any difficulty removing a 3100/3400 pulley with a generic pulley tool.

Also, know when your belt tensioner was replaced. I often find that the existing tensioner is almost as out of alignment as the crank pulley.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Slipped Balancer. Its been bad a long time. No fixing it,must replace it with a new or atleast good one.

+1

Super easy to fix take off drive belt unbolt it and put a new one on in under an hour it really is a 1-2-3 job very common on high mileage 3.1 engines. If you can replace a fan belt on an older car you can do this. Remember hoe the drive belt goes take pictures if it makes you feel better although there was a diagram on the hood or body of the car..
How many miles on that 3.1 and what year?

I did it to my moms Buick Rendezvous with the 3.4L (basically same engine) last year. It's an easy job, hers did the same thing and separated except it chewed up the belt doing it. You'll need a puller. My mom's is an Arizona car and it was stuck on.

depending on the year some come off without a puller.. also check your water pump for seepage they are also very easy to replace and are under $20.00 Wholesale

You might be able to get in there with a claw hammer but work it gently back-and-forth and don't reef up against the timing cover casting.

Replace belt and tensioner, they were stressed by the harmonic dampener.

Make sure the new dampener is tight.

Check wp for leaks and smooth bearings. Same for the alternator.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back