Glued O-rings

I have never used one. Attached is a pic of an o-ring which was supplied by a reputable faucet manufacturer. The gluing looks sloppy to me and I am skeptical as to whether it is going to seal well.
Anyone making their own o-rings and having success with them? 000_0284.JPG

I have an old Loctite DIY o-ring kit I purchased years ago for an engineering proto project at work. Like your image, I had issues with gluing the ends of the o-ring material together (more of an adhesion than alignment issue). It was easier to re-design to use a standard sized o-ring.

20230401_160029-jpg.148002

20230401_160100.jpg

What brand of faucet are you working with? It might use standard sized (commonly available) o-rings. Our Delta kitchen faucet uses standard -122 sized o-rings that are included in my Harbor Freight assortment.

Attachments

• 20230401_160029.jpg
    20230401_160029.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 246
I already did the repair and did not need to use this O-ring. I was going to save this O-ring for future use, but after examining it, I have no confidence it will work in any application. I checked the glue on the O-ring and the cured glue is significantly harder than the O-ring material. The glued portion is not going to conform well to its mating surfaces when fitted.

I've seen/heard from several places that glued o-rings in static sealing applications are just fine. Part of my brain says there's no way, but I guess they do work and it is a recommended method. 🤷‍♂️

I have never used one. Attached is a pic of an o-ring which was supplied by a reputable faucet manufacturer.
This seems strange to me, not to have purpose made (or standard sized by design), non-glued/continuous o-rings unless they are having supply problems. Which brand?

This seems strange to me, not to have purpose made (or standard sized by design), non-glued/continuous o-rings unless they are having supply problems. Which brand?
Same thought occurred to me - for a mass produced item, you would expect the manufacturer to source the o-rings from a o-ring supplier, instead of making them by gluing. Grohe must have had supplier issues.

It was a diverter spout for a Grohe Shower valve
The larger o-ring, shown in the diagram below, is for the trim ring (escutcheon) and the old one was in good shape, so I thought it best to not disturb it. Hence I ended up with a new o-ring, which I was going to add to my o-ring collection, but is now in my trash. I replaced the smaller, more important one, the one that seals the water flow through the spout. It was not a glued o-ring.

Back