Glue for rubber lining between hood & headlight?

The rubber lining between the passenger headlight and the hood on my Sienna is coming loose.

I was thinking of buying a new lining, but then figured that the problem wasn't the rubber material, so much as the fact that the lining has become loose. So I'd like to buy some type of glue to bond it to the front.

What should I use?

20230101_120902.jpg

My local napa has 3m weatherstrip adhesive products, I'll go with that the.

Thanks.

I would try a hot glue gun if you have one. The glue that is used for dent remover pull tabs really works well for many applications. I use it all the time because it is very strong and sets up in a minute or two.

No, I don't have one.
I would try a hot glue gun if you have one. The glue that is used for dent remover pull tabs really works well for many applications. I use it all the time because it is very strong and sets up in a minute or two.

I always use RTV for trim like that. Clean both mating surfaces with alcohol or brake clean. The RTV gives you time to work and may take a bit longer to dry/cure but it'll be FIXED!

Think I'd use automotive black silicone RTV, unless you can see the mounting surfacet through the headlight housing, and if so then decide between using it sparingly or using a clear non-acid cure silicone caulking.
Doesn’t that use acetic acid or something that softens paint and rusts metal?

id think 3m trim or weatherstrip adhesive would be the right product…

Doesn’t that use acetic acid or something that softens paint and rusts metal?

id think 3m trim or weatherstrip adhesive would be the right product…

I have kinda the same concern but it applies to both. I picked up some weatherstrip adhesive (not specifically 3M) to tack a piece of trim back in place near the windshield of my SO's Sienna, then found the detailed warning sheet (after opening the package and making it non-returnable) says not to use on painted surfaces.

So - "weatherstrip adhesive" says not to use on paint either. Which is, like, nearly everything that weatherstrip is glued to (on vehicles in my circle anyways).

it looks like 3M VHB tape to me. I have the same thing - but it’s on a aftermarket headlamp I need to realign.

With the state of condition that vehicle looks to be in I wouldn’t overthink it. Just use RTV sealant and be done with it. If it comes off again maybe use gorilla glue.

What are you guys talking about??? "Non marring, non oxidizing, it will soften paint, sensor safe" ???

I'm glad you guys are showcasing your knowledge, but look at that thing. Seriously.

TS, use whatever you have in your garage. Rtv, super glue, wood glue, take the winter fresh gum out of your mouth, stretch it to the width of the strip and use it as glue. That car will never know the difference, neither will you.

Back