Gloves and brake cleaner

I used some exam gloves my wife brought home from work and brake cleaner melted them in seconds.

The Gunk brake cleaner really hurts my hands. It's more than preventing my hands from getting dirty.

What kind of gloves do I need to get to use them while using brake cleaner.

Nitrile. 6 mil, minimum. And I don’t use chlorinated brake cleaner anymore...it eats plastic and gloves, so I have to believe it’s bad for my lungs...

I used some exam gloves my wife brought home from work and brake cleaner melted them in seconds.

The Gunk brake cleaner really hurts my hands. It's more than preventing my hands from getting dirty.

What kind of gloves do I need to get to use them while using brake cleaner.
Go to Harbor Freight and get some of their chemical resistant gloves .

Nitrile. 6 mil, minimum. And I don’t use chlorinated brake cleaner anymore...it eats plastic and gloves, so I have to believe it’s bad for my lungs...
Ditto on Nitrile. "Most" common brake cleaners, chlorinated or not are bad for your lungs and the rest of your body. Non-chlorinated hexane formulations are still quite toxic, though there are some low toxicity brand(s) out there today... that cost a lot more so I don't use them.

how are you getting it all over your hands?

I usually wash the rotors with dawn if they are gooped.. anything else i can usually prop up and spray sometimes I get abit from the caliper slide holes..
I use the black extreme thick from harbor freight

I got GLOVEWORKS HD Industrial Green Nitrile Gloves - 8 mil, Latex Free. And they hold up ok but not as good as HF black.
they were 12.95 for 100.. now in covid they are 25$+
these seem like the least I would get 8mil.

NOTE: some come in boxes of 100 and other are 50 take into account when pricing.

I use exam gloves for many things as ther cost less and work pretty good . Nitrite gloves are what is needed to stand up to most automotive chemicals and lubes

I use the 7 mil Harbor Freight ones but at work they are provided for us I forgot the company name that provides them for us there

The blue ones from HF work for me. Lots of ventilation (preferably outside) while using brake cleaner.

I do keep the vinyl ones around, they are ok for motor oil changes as I find I have them on and off in a couple of minutes, and they are a bit cheaper.

Back