Glock 26 vs Ruger LC9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not shot either, nor held either; but I'd probably go with the Glock, all other things considered (which is to say, not considering anything other than name recognition). Price of the gun should be trivial, since you'll likely burn more $$$ in ammo than on the gun purchase.

IIRC, LC9 has a safety, but it is ambidextrous. Given the striker design, you might be able to ignore it... or feel guilted into using it. No external safety on the Glock.

Some people hate the grip angle on the Glock, and would buy anything else on that sole premise. I forget if the Glock can take magazines of the other models (the G19 can take the higher round count G17 mags, for example).

I don't know if it matters to you or not; but I know Glocks come with that polygonal rifling that does not like lead bullets--not sure if Ruger followed that or not. There are aftermarket Glock barrels with standard rifling that can handle lead bullets. If you aren't reloading though, then you are likely running plated bullets and won't care either way.

If you are looking for a concealed carry, there are alot of possibilities besides these two. They both have their pros and cons, check youtube, there's alot of reviews and comparisons on these two guns and other concealed carry guns. Beretta also is coming out with a new pocket size pistol that would compete with these http://www.berettausa.com/products/nano/ and of course there's plenty from other makers like kahr, keltec, etc. Go to a gun store and see what fits your hand and your conceal carry the best. Of course the glock seems to be one of the most popular guns, but it's also one of the more expensive ones.

Id take the Glock over the Ruger. The Ruger is just an overpriced copy of the more popular Kel-Tec PF-9. I own an LCP and the only thing it has over the Kel-Tec P3-AT is a manual slide lock. No empty mag hold open. So for an extra $100 thats a junk slide lock. But the LC9 would be the better concealed carry gun over the two but I wouldnt buy it over the 26. Especially since its maybe a $100 more for the Glock anyway.

The Glocks (except for the GEN4) have a long, proven history of durability and reliability that's very hard to beat.

The Ruger SR9C is more the same size of the Glock 26. The LC9 is a DAO type trigger where the SR9C and Glock 26 are striker.

Between the two that you listed I'd pick the LC9 since its smaller and easier to conceal (and that is the reason for the LC9) and if between the SR9C and Glock 26 I'd pick the SR9C since it has better sights (and they are metal and will not wear(plus they are adjustable) better trigger and supported barrel. Plus you can shoot lead with the Ruger with no concerns.

Also the SR9C is less expensive.

I've had all of them (Had the GLock and have the LC9 and SR9C) and like the SR9C better shooting wise.

JMO. Bill

PS: The LC9 does NOT have an ambidextrous safety. The SR9C does.

You asked which is better so I'll go out on a limb. Firt off, I am a huge Ruger fan here but the Glock is absolutely tried and true. Having said that, people seem to either love or hate the Glock.

I would wait to see how the newer Rugers are holding up after several years.

I'm patiently waiting to see how the Ruger 1911's hold up before I buy one.

I just got back from looking at both. Glock wins,hands down! MUCH more solid and sturdy than the Ruger.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I just got back from looking at both. Glock wins,hands down! MUCH more solid and sturdy than the Ruger.

That's like saying a grapefruit is bigger than an orange. The response being "Yes and ?".

LC9 is a pocket gun. G26 is not. What other pocket guns (Kahr makes a 9mm pocket, few others too) and sub-compacts (multiple) did you look at?

Originally Posted By: BobFout

That's like saying a grapefruit is bigger than an orange. The response being "Yes and ?".

LC9 is a pocket gun. G26 is not. What other pocket guns (Kahr makes a 9mm pocket, few others too) and sub-compacts (multiple) did you look at?

Well said! Talking about different guns and different missions.

Well,the Ruger just seemed a lil "flimsy" compared to the Glock. The Glock feels SOLID and feels impeccably presicion!

Last edited:
Another thing about the Ruger I didn`t like was the long trigger travel.

Again apples and oranges. One is a striker design and the other one is a double action only. For the concealed mission that the Ruger LC9 was designed for its safer than the Glock for pocket carry and can be. The Glock can not unless you are a very big person with big pockets (I'm over 6'5" and I can not NOR would carry a Glock, M&Pc, SR9C or such in the pocket)

I do with the LC9 and before it the LCP.

Take care, Bill

May I offer another option?

If you like the striker type weapon and are NOT going to conceal it in your pocket, like the size of the baby Glock I'd really have you look at a Spring Field Armory XD 9 sub compact.

Same size, barrel that you can shoot lead (lower cost ammo) and comes with FIVE (5) mags for around $400. Excellent weapon and comes with a 16 round mag and 10 round (or 2 10 round). Your next 3 mags can be either one with holder.

The rebate form does show 13 round mags available for the small mags.

The Glock 26 is around $500 with 2 mags. Personally between the 2 I know what I'd buy even without the rebate 3 mags.

Bill

PS: Like I said above, a more valid comparison would be the Ruger SR9C vs Glock 26. Same size and same trigger systems. And the Ruger wins hands down in triggers over the Glock IMO.

Glock triggers are terrible, having said that, the trigger on the LC9 is worse. It's a long long trigger pull, and I personally find it hard to keep a good sight picture while pulling that hangman's lever all the way the rear.

I would widen the comparison to the Walther PPS, Rohrbaugh R9 and the Kahr CM9/PM9... all are better pistols than the either the LC9 or the G26 IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back