Glass with varying surface height?

JHZR2

Staff member
EED9FC6A-FB18-4661-A20C-2C713C29687C.jpeg

Brand new wiper. It wipes very nicely, except that one spot in the top left. Completely misses it. Hard to get a good photo no matter the contrast.

I’ve had wipers that wipe well, wipers that wipe poorly. These Dona perfect job except in that area where it completely misses. I have to guess the glass is thinner or lower there?

Anyone ever see this? Wonder if I can make the blade less stiff to conform better?

Or is Rain X my best bet?

Is the wiper arm bent out of shape?

I speculate that something is wrong with the wiper arm itself. Either it’s bent, or the spring is weak. It could be a combination of both.

What brand windshield? (
lol agreed.

OP, did you ever have the windshield replaced or did you buy the vehicle used? Check the glass by the VIN number or around the edges to see who made it. If it doesn't say Pilkington, PPG or your vehicle manufacturer then its possible a low quality Chinese unit.

Then again you said other wipers have worked fine before so maybe the new wiper needs to be broken in or you might just have a dud. IDK maybe try clay-barring the glass to remove any residue if nothing else works.

By any chance is this a Mercedes with the odd single wiper? If so, they are notorious for inconsistent wipes if the blade skips every so lightly.

If the passenger side wiper is the same length and curvature (i.e., exact same part), can you swap positions to see if it is a wiper issue? I suspect it is the wiper or a film/coating on the windshield.

Bosch wiper blade or OE? I have a car that had something similar, and it turned out the OE blade had a very, very slightly curved frame that made a difference. I'd also double check the curve and angle of the end of the arm where the blade mounts....and get fuel:)

By any chance is this a Mercedes with the odd single wiper? If so, they are notorious for inconsistent wipes if the blade skips every so lightly.
It is, though the s class also has a passenger wiper.

How's the spring in the wiper arm? Seen better days?
Who knows. It’s a 29 year old car with almost 292k miles on it. I recently had the wiper system open and it is all well lined, springs feel strong, especially for this pretty substantial driver side wiper.

Bosch wiper blade or OE? I have a car that had something similar, and it turned out the OE blade had a very, very slightly curved frame that made a difference. I'd also double check the curve and angle of the end of the arm where the blade mounts....and get fuel:)
The blades for this car are somewhat unique ad Bosch makes the blade for Mercedes. It’s not some generic fit option from a parts store.

Last edited:
Back