Glad I had police come to minor accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hit on Saturday, see post below:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ice#Post3469843

Today when I went to file a claim the insured parties insurance company informed me that he said I backed into him. I then proceed to tell them that is not what the police report said. After a bad incident several years ago with my wife I swore to myself to always get a police report. I am just glad this guy wasnt quick enough to lie to the cop when he filled out police report. I dont know how it would have turned out if that had happened.

His insurance company should drop him for lieing after the fact, not sure if they can but wishful thinking. Just venting a little bothered someone cant admit their fault.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You got a police report? Over here in Clovis the police won't write up a report up unless someone was injured.

Another wonderful CA law?

A few years ago I was turning into my neighborhood and a kid rammed the car behind me and knocked it into me- causing @$3,000 damage to my car. I called his insurance agent and was informed that he told them that the car behind me caused the accident- not him. I did a little research and found that just a few months earlier he had been stopped for speeding(20 over) on the same stretch of highway where the accident happened. I sent a copy of the citation to his agent and they agreed to pay soon after...

I always try to get a report. Note I said try, police don't always come.

Interesting how the insurance company took his word for it. I guess when they were led to believe the claim wasn't their responsibility they didn't bother looking any further.

Around here it's hard to get a copy of the police report and there might be a nominal fee. The cop writes it up later in his shift or next day, not at the accident scene, so cooler heads prevail when the involved drivers finally get their copy, if they bother to do so.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Skid
This is why I have a dash cam.

Does it record 360?

I have three different ones (multiple cars). One is "dual channel" and can record front and back, but it's overall terrible quality and the second channel just shows me in the drivers seat, can't recommend it, but might be useful for police / taxis. The other two are front facing only and I think it's enough because generally, if someone is going to blame you for something, they're going to blame you for rear ending them, and you can show that's not what happened.

Other tips: Low light sensitivity is important for night. Cheap dash cams are fine in the daytime, but not so great at night. Look for large lenses and sensors (well, large sensors require large lenses).

The two dash cams that I like are FineVu and BlackVue, both models have some model name with "500" in them. I bought them a while ago, so there may be better ones for cheaper by now.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
People lie all the time. Lieing is not considered immoral in this culture.

I agree people lie all the time, however i consider it completely immoral and if caught lieing to me you will not regain my trust.

Originally Posted By: Skid
This is why I have a dash cam.

Would a dash cam show who hit who in this case. It might not it would need to be tied into cars computer to see what the vehicle was doing at time of impact. It could look like I backed into him A couple of weeks there was a post about black boxes in cars and many were against it. I say bring them on, I have nothing to hide and would protect me in this incident.

Was hit by an older lady who was cutting across a crowded parking lot. I was in the correct lane and she was cruising across semi-empty parking spaces without looking. Police would not come because no one was injured. I took pictures and helped get her car running again by pulling some of the metal away from her front tire. We exchanged information but when I tried to file a claim she claimed I had hit her LOL! When I sent the pictures showing the positions of the cars her insurance company immediately agreed and paid for my damages. What upset me most was I took 30 minutes of my time helping get her car going and she then lied to try and screw me. If I hadn't taken pictures it might have worked. Some people are just reprehensible.

I have been in the insurance industry for over 13 years. People lie. Ur best bet is to get a police report if u can and eye witnesses if u can. Good luck

Originally Posted By: raaizin
Just venting a little bothered someone cant admit their fault.

Well it does say right on the insurance card to not admit fault.

So you should never expect an apology, empathy, or behavior that in any other situation would be considered decent human courtesy or good manners in an insurance accident.

Getting your feelings hurt is something you won't be compensated for; But yea, lying about the events of what happened is a different story altogether. Be sure to keep the 2 separate though.

Last edited:
How does a police report help unless the other driver told the truth to office? They simply write down the statements of drivers and move on. In a parking lot bang up deal they don't determine fault.

Several years ago, a co-worker was driving to work and an oncoming car came into his lane and caused a head-on collision. Nobody was hurt. The other driver was a 17 year-old girl who said that it was all her fault and that her family was very rich and would pay for everything if my co-worker didn't call the cops. Despite her pleading, he had the cops come out and write up an accident report which said that the 17 year-old girl was 100% at fault. My co-worker took plenty of pictures of the accident.
About a month later, he was sued by the 17 year-old's mom.....who just happened to be a lawyer. (I guess that's why the family was rich)
Thanks to the police report and the photos that he took, the lawyer lost her case. If and when I'm involved in an accident, I'll never trust the other person again.

The girlfriend and I were rear ended in my moms wrangler while taking my dog to the vet for an operation. The kid, who tried paying me off with $30, hit the tire and we were pushed forward. No damage and the cop said I wouldn't have had to call him.

Glad to see you were able to get it all straightened out with a good LEO.

Yep, getting a police report has saved me a fair bit of change. Guy hit me and fled the scene, but not before we got his entire license plate and a description of him/vehicle. Police took my side and couldn't get his since he was not answering the door when they knocked. His insurance paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back