Glad I don't sell cars

walterjay

Site Donor 2023
Glad I don't sell cars cause right now there are few to sell. Went by the local Hyundai dealer and they had like seven new cars. They are the largest dealer in Maryland and usually have a few hundred. Nissan dealer next door same thing. Ford dealer worse yet. I think I saw two new trucks...showroom empty with just a 2014 used car sitting in it. Sheesh. I feel sorry for the people who depend on sales to put food on the table. I hope this turns around sooner than later.

Is it that few cars are being built or they are selling the minute the get put on the lot?

The Ford dealer closest to me has about 5 new trucks at any time lately. Most new ones coming in are customer orders or dealer orders that are sold before arrival so they don’t stay on the lot long. Tough time for new car sales though.

There is no shortage on Maui. Lots are full, may not find the exact model and features you want, but you want a f150, civic or Tacoma? No issue getting a brand new one.

I can't believe they haven't figured out a way around all this mess with the chip shortage. How about re-designing them .

I'm looking to move the Atlas so my wife and i are buckling up for an adventure.

I anticipate casting a wide net and traveling for a decent price.

Reactions: GON
I heard there are huge lots of cars sitting awaiting shipments of chips. Bet the prices fall big once this chip issue is ironed out.

- do you mean a complete electronic redesign using all different components?

Automotive use almost obsolete chips to build their ECUs and run the edge of unavailability due purely to cost (in normal times)

Not all chips are having supply shortages there are hundreds of thousands of pieces of slightly older and slightly newer chips sitting on the shelf, GM has been able to adapt to a generation older to keep moving some product, unfortunate others aren’t willing to do the same.

We are working overhours because the car manufacturers are feed up with their suppliers and start to install their own electronic manufacturing lines. They order machines for this at my company.... we are specialiced and world-market leader.
Nothing to complain, but the volume of orders is really huge. We are hiring and searching for good workers...

My Honda dealer usually has 250+ new cars in inventory, had less than 40 on Friday, used, late-model (2018 & up) Hondas are selling used for as much as and sometimes more than they sold for new.

Automotive use almost obsolete chips to build their ECUs and run the edge of unavailability due purely to cost (in normal times)

Not all chips are having supply shortages there are hundreds of thousands of pieces of slightly older and slightly newer chips sitting on the shelf, GM has been able to adapt to a generation older to keep moving some product, unfortunate others aren’t willing to do the same.

I dont think you are understanding the work necessary to reengineer all the missing components that are short on parts.

Its beyond a gigantic scope of work when you factor in all the logistics.

Maybe in your area. Seems like now would be a great time to run a used car lot.
The only ones I see that have anything will literally have one car on their lot that's a total hooptie and they're acting like it's made of gold or something trying to get probably three to four times what it's worth. And there it sits and sits and sits rotting away.

I can't believe they haven't figured out a way around all this mess with the chip shortage. How about re-designing them .
I’m not sure how fast it would take to redesign; probably depends on the functionality. On a brand new automotive design, the company I work for, the schedule would be measured in years. A year from start to finish is fast, and that may not include ramp up in the production line, and that would probably be consumer grade at that. Don’t forget all of the qual testing so as to ensure the part does what it is supposed to do, without failure when under stress—otherwise it’s just begging for recalls.

The real bottleneck is silicon wafers. Getting them made and getting packaged and probably getting them tested & out the door. Then assembled into whatever module they need to go into, although it sounds like this assembly process is likely not the problem—the procurement of chips and passives is.

Today, I was at a Ford dealer who had 3 new SuperDuties. The date on the window sticker for all three, was the last week of June.

Is Louisville finally getting some chips, and is shipping again?

Back