Glad Greyhound is still around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a side note to say I'm glad to see Greyhound bus lines is still in operation. I know they've had their troubles. Gives people an option when needed. Personally I don't use them, but some folks have a need.

Thankfully I've never had the dubious pleasure of riding a Greyhound bus. My impression of them and their clientele was not helped by the "interesting" people and the poor condition of their terminal in North St. Louis MO...

Amtrak, on the other hand, I have thought about taking to The Greenbriar for a long weekend.

I see quite a bit of people ride Greyhound to/from the San Francisco Transbay Terminal, the routes going to LA and Reno/Sacramento are the main feeders into SF. I took their BoltBus between Seattle and Vancouver last year, it was my cheapest option but it was nice driving up the 5 out of King County and through rural Washington up to the US/Canada border.

First has done a good job of rehabbing the Greyhound fleet, their new MCI D4500s and Prevost X3-45s look classy with the new livery. They just need to do the same to the terminals - I go past the Oakland terminal and it's not exactly nice.

A bunch of us went across the country and back just after high school using a greyhound 30 day pass. Good fun and wasn't sketchy at all back then.
They also ship stuff here too, cheap way to move stuff like tires long distances.

I was worried you were going to say you crashed your new bike on a trip and used them to get back home.

When I was a kid, my parents would put me on a GH bus and ship me 250 miles away to the grandparents.
That was back in the early 60s.
No way would I do that these days.

When in college I used GH for trips back home.

Greyhound I haven't ridden on one for over 60 years. But I can still remember those trips on them with my Grandmother Emma. When life was a lot slower and very good.

Never taken one. See lots on the interstates.

Bus terminals never appear "nice". I donobserve people lining up on the street to board bolt and similar other busses between cities.

It’s a nice way to travel for people with warrants and other reasons to stay under the radar, as they don’t check ID or baggage like some other forms of long distance transportation.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Thankfully I've never had the dubious pleasure of riding a Greyhound bus. My impression of them and their clientele was not helped by the "interesting" people and the poor condition of their terminal in North St. Louis MO...

Amtrak, on the other hand, I have thought about taking to The Greenbriar for a long weekend.

I helped someone get a ticket and picked them up for years. That old terminal in North St Louis has been closed for years. They have a modern terminal with Amtrak downtown. However, over a 10 year period it has become more crazy. Last time ticket counter was closed for one hour. I was first in line. Behind me a line of angry customers. Their bus broke down in the Nevada desert. No A/C. They were stuck in St Louis, behind schedule, not knowing when they would get to their destination. Then you have the aggressive people cutting in line and the Greyhound staff that yelled at me. I am glad I had a car and could get far away from Greyhound.

We used to ship stuff on greyhound. I rode about 500 miles in one back on the mid 90s. They were still running 2 stroke detroits back then. I was ready to get off that bus 5 minutes after getting on it.

I don't recall ever actually taking a Greyhound, but I've taken the a Megabus a few times back when they actually had cheap rates. I'd buy them right as they were released and if I ended up not taking the trip, it wasn't a huge loss. It wasn't terribly comfortable, but not bad either. Great way to get around during and right after college.

Intercity bus service thoughts:
1) Didn't one of the big ones (GH or Trailways) forsake the Dakotas a while back? Still no service? Ws the vacuum filled?
2) Have taken the Adirondack Trailways busses either upstate or back down if a car excahnge was involved. It's good to have options.
3) Things have changed and some bus stations have been revamped. I guess it's normal that some have not.
4) Prisons have always dumped releasees at bus stations-with a ticket too. This way the $16.85 of prison pay they have in their pockets will go farther.
4a) Did O.J. take "the hound" to get home?
5) I'm glad some of the stigma against public transportation is fading away. More to go though.

This thread got me thinking more about GH and Amtrak...got on both websites and was amazed to learn that Amtrak has a BofA MasterCard to get "frequent flier points" just like Delta or United...shocked me halfway to death. Of course, GH had no such thing.

I hadn't thought about the "flying under the radar" aspect of riding the Dog...I just assumed they wanted some sort of ID so they know who the heck is under their care.

Took one from Buffalo to Central Ohio to pickup a car I purchased on Ebay.

Would not do it again. I was about 21 years old.

Bus stopped at every exit on the interstate, we had a transfer at a dumpy station in Cleveland, then picked up prisoners in New York and Ohio along the way.

A few years later I had a salvage yard ship me a bumper using their shipping service, it arrived in two pieces.

Used to ride Trailways in college. Took double the time of a car ride because of the "local" zig-zagging. Saw some interesting urban centers... Kingston, Albany, Springfield...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back