GL4 Tranny Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using SF with GREAT success, but alas, there won't be more soon.
frown.gif
Does Schaeffer offer GL4? I believe Amsoil and Redline do.

Thanks!

GL4 for a manual tranny? You mentioned Redline. I have Redline MT90 in my manual tranny (which requires a GL4).

My car didn`t like RP Max Gear whatsoever. Made my tranny loud,raspy,and notchy. MT90 is awesome stuff!

What`s everyone`s opinions on who makes the best GL4 manual tranny gear oil?

I have to second the poor review for Max-Gear. I put it in my 1999 Nissan Frontier two weeks ago, and I have been very disappointed. My Nissan requires GL-4 75W-90. I am currently waiting for my Amsoil MTG to arrive.

Let me know how the Amsoil gear oil performs. I`ve always been curious about Amsoil products. Another thing the RP did is that it made mt throwout bearing whine.

Why wont there be anymore GL4? I dont see it disappearing anytime soon.

I too use the MT90 in my manual and the shifting improved a great deal...no notchy shifts, smooth like butter...generally, everything about it feels better.

I replaced it before 10K miles on a brand new vechicle and fell that if I would have known the improvement it would have made I would have done it sooner.

Quote:

Let me know how the Amsoil gear oil performs. I`ve always been curious about Amsoil products. Another thing the RP did is that it made mt throwout bearing whine.

Another thing RP did is that it made *my* throwout bearing whine. Sorry about the typo.

I use Redline in my Honda, MTL with some MT-90. Royal Purple was ok in my old Audi. Of course, the original fluid was almost 20 years old w/180k. I am also interested in AMSoil, but got a closeout deal on my 2nd fill of Redline and still have a 1/2q leftover, so I'll probally use it again.

I put the Amsoil in a couple days ago. Pretty much all the problems I had with notchy shifts and cold performance seem to be gone.

After comparing the spec sheets, I assume the main difference is the much thinner viscosity of the Amsoil compared to RP. Also, the Amsoil doesn't have the friction modifiers of the RP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back