GL-4 or GL-5 in 4Runner Transfer Case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are fine to use a GL5 gear oil.

My Jeep's owners manual says to use an API SL oil in the engine. I can't find API SL though..

Same thing.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I was told GL-4 was the better choice for a transfer case because of the type of gears used in it.

Not true.
That's a myth in Bitog.

It wasn't from Bitog it was from a mechanic with an older 4x4. He also told me not to use synthetic gear oils in my differentials. There's a lot of that going around too.

You've been around long enough to know better than posting such lies.

I have found more mechanics to be against synthetics than any other breed of human.

Makes zero logical sense IMO.

The manual for the 3rd gen 4Runners says "GL-4 or GL-5" for BOTH the transfer case and manual transmission, which I found strange. Is this a typo?

There's no yellow metals in the transfer case, the only benefit of GL-4 would be if the transmission/transfer case seal leaks you won't contaminate the transmission with GL-5.

I have the same language for my Landcruisers, as I was also confused. Let me just share what I have been using for more than 600k miles on a hundy (those were all highway miles). Chevron Syn 75W-90 that I pick up off a shelf at a local Autozone, where it is around $5+ per quart. And Mobil Delvac 75W-90 that I buy online, when Zoro runs its 30% off with free shipping. Mobil mentions only GL5 in its PDS and on its label, while Chevron casually states GL4 and GL5 [the same thing confused me, when I read label/PDS for Chevron Delo ESI 80W-90 that I use in the diffs]. I also asked Toyota, and this is something you should do for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Redline says to use 75-90 in transfer case.

Which can be GL-4 or GL-5. I've used both in my 4Runner transfer case. Both were synthetic, and I've never noticed any difference in how it operates. Currently it has a GL-5 gear oil in it, as I had enough left from changing the front diff and rear axle.

Yes, but what they call the 75w-90 is the GL-5 and the MTL is the GL-4 75w-90. They recommend to use the 75W-90 GL-5.

Ok, then go ahead and use it. I've used a lot of Redline products, as I can get it for nearly free, and they are generally very good lubricants.

FWIW, I've used Mobil 1 75w90 GL-5, Redline 75w90 GL-5, Redline MT90 GL-4, and a couple other synthetic gear oils in my 4Runner's VF2A transfer case. They all did a fine job, and over 19 years after I bought the 4Runner new off the lot, it still runs like new.

2006 tacoma have been running Amsoil SVG 75w90 for nearly 10 years 120k 30k intervals never a problem ever even in -20F temperature

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
You are fine to use a GL5 gear oil.

My Jeep's owners manual says to use an API SL oil in the engine. I can't find API SL though..

Same thing.

Not even CLOSE to the same thing.

GL-5 requires much higher levels of sulfur-based EP addtives which are corrosive to copper alloys. GL-4 is specifically for applications like manual transmissions where copper is present (synchros) and hypoid gears which NEED the EP additives are not present. Technically, GL-5 "supercedes" GL-4, but its not as straightforward as, say, SN superceding SM superceding SL. There's a fundamental difference in the application.

That's not to say that GL-5 is not just fine in this transfer case, as it probably has no copper-based alloys. Heck, GL-5 is fine for *some* manual transmissions that use non-copper-based syncrho materials. But GL-5 is not "better" except at protecting hypoid gears, it is actually worse at protecting brass/bronze/copper.

The Owners Manual is your case is garbage, Toyota should be specific.
This is where 4Runner forums guys will give you the best advice.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
The Owners Manual is your case is garbage, Toyota should be specific.
This is where 4Runner forums guys will give you the best advice.

They are specific. In the Transfer Case, a 75w90 in either GL-4 or GL-5 is fine. I have personally used both.

I've also been on 4Runner forums for years. They, just like any website, have knowledgeable people, and those that aren't.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
I'd use GL-4 in the TC. If it has a MT then I'd use the same fluid in both in the off chance that there's some bleed through and they share some oil. And not to sound like a parrot but the Redline MT90 works great. That's what I have in my 3.4l Tacoma.

This is good advice. In older Land Cruiser's with MT, seals can fail and they can mix. I use Sta-Lube GL-4 in my 240Z transmission and my Landcruiser transmission/xfer case.

It's an automatic. I'm going with the MT-90 as I have 2 qts of it and 4 qts of the 75w-90 which is just enough to fill the diffs.

tons of bro science ITT. OP, I have a 2000 4runner 3.4 manual trans. I have owned and operated 1st gen Tacoma's & 3rd gen 4runner's since their inception and spent hundreds of thousands of miles behind the wheel. I use MT90 in the trans, and any brand of 75x90 GL4 in the xcase. I swap out the oils often and don't worry about top-tier stuff everyone else is spouting off. OP, why are you looking for validation? you have over 200K and unless you are seeing performance issues, whatever you are doing is probably fine. carry on..

Not looking for validation. Just looking to do the "best" thing. I didn't buy this 4Runner new so I don't know what has been done prior to my ownership. The truth be known I don't know what I did the only time I changed the gear oils. Just been changing all the gear oils and tranny fluids in my vehicles and the 4Runner was last. The owner's manual gave me both options and I figured bitog would know what's best. Like I said in the post right before yours, I'm going with the MT-90 in the transfer case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back