GL-4 or GL-5 in 4Runner Transfer Case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read differing points of view. Some say to use GL-4 in the Transfer case and others say to use GL-5. I'm using GL-5 in all the diffs. My assumption is to use GL-5 in the transfer case. What do you think?

Yes, refer to your owner's manual first. Then you can pick your brand and type(75/90, 80/90, 90/110 etc.) and whether or not you want dino or synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I "think" you should look in the owner's manual. GL-4 and GL-5 are not interchangeable, use what the OEM tells you to use and nothing else.

I "think" I did. I "think" you are incorrect. Here is a "copy and paste" of the owner's manual for a 2002 4Runner:

TRANSFER
Oil capacity, L (qt., Imp. qt.):
1.2 (1.3, 1.1)
Oil type:
Gear oil API GL–4 or GL–5
Recommended oil viscosity:
SAE 75W–90

So, I repeat my question. Which is better for the Transfer Case?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Many GL-5 gear oils pass 1a copper strip test. Does that make your choice easier?

Well, not really. I don't know what you are talking about. I guess it's some type of corrosion/wear test. Would that test apply to the transfer case?

The reason I'm asking is on some of the Toyota forums they feel very strongly that you should use GF-4 only in the Transfer case. I went to the Amsoil sight and they give both options for the Transfer case. It seems to me that the GL-5 is a better fluid but is it "better" for the Transfer Case?

To simplify the gl5 is loaded with additives that help with shock loads in a diff but at the expense of being corrosive to yellow metals. The owners manual is saying that you don't need those additives but if you use them there would be no harm. Personally I would go for the gl4 and change every 30k. If the oil was going to be forgotten about for 100k I'd go gl5. Basically the gl5 is a better oil if you don't have yellow metals but the advantage really only has a purpose in high shock load hypoid gears.

75w-90 I used Lucas brand, but any name brand is all you need. I bet the Toyota lube lasted over 60K without any problems. Ive been told that Toyota uses Mobil syn fluids but who knows since 4Runners are assembled in Japan.

The GL-4 subject caught my attention. I just recently bought a Citroen 2CV and it says to use GL-4 EP in the transmission. The only place in the US I could find it was Amazon.com . I mean I could order it from Europe but the shipping is expensive and wanted to do it now before building a wish list.

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL24239-GL-4-Multi-Purpose-Hypoid/dp/B000M8RYMC

GL-5 is supposed to contain sulfur which will attack the brass synchronizers. I've owned Fiats for about 25 years and the transmissions calls for GL-1 90. Sort of hard to find at autopart stores but widely available at tractor stores like Tractor Supply and is actually cheaper than GL-5.

Just like the HLP-68 my Trabant uses which ended up being AW-68.

Just about every Fiat I've bought has had worn synchronizers. Except for my Yugo. Once I had the transmission overhauled, and put the correct oil in it, they did just fine.

I suspect allot of owners put GL-5 in the transmissions out of ignorance which led to the synchronizers early death.

When I drained the gear oil from my Citroen it had the same pungent smell of GL-5. I tend to hear gear a bit of clash when going from 4th to 3rd and sometimes 3rd to 2nd. The car only has 24,000 miles on it so I wouldn't think the synchronizers would be worn this early.

I got to where I just blip the throttle with the clutch pressed in before downshifting which seems to do the trick.

Funny that the Citroen has no gear clash when going up through the gears, just downshifting.

The Fiats wanted to grind when going from 1st to 2nd. Double clutching would prevent this but no amount of double clutching works on the Citroen. Just blipping the throttle when the clutch in. I guess this aligns the gears somehow.

This is probably more than you wanted to know but just based on my experience, use GL-4 if the transfer case or transmission calls for it because it does in fact seem to eat brass!

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I've read differing points of view. Some say to use GL-4 in the Transfer case and others say to use GL-5.

Back in the era of pre-2000,I would concur with the 'some' saying to use only GL-4 ... particularly when there is bronze/copper shifter sleeve within the transfer case.
Post 2000 where most GL5 complies with description 1a,1b or 2a of Copper Strip Corrosion Test ASTM D130, which no longer eats bronze/copper sleeve,I would concur with the 'others' who say to use GL5 ....... till todate.
Btw, steel used to be 'the' material for transfer case shifter sleeve, instead of bronze/copper.
http://my.umbc.edu/system/shared/attachm....pdf?1334852745

I'm using GL-5 in all the diffs. My assumption is to use GL-5 in the transfer case. What do you think?

It makes perfect sense for you to use the same GL5 viscosity grade in the transfer case.

The reason I'm asking is on some of the Toyota forums they feel very strongly that you should use GF-4 only in the Transfer case. I went to the Amsoil sight and they give both options for the Transfer case. It seems to me that the GL-5 is a better fluid but is it "better" for the Transfer Case?

The Toyota forums must be thinking a GL5 today would be eating the hi-low shifter sleeve within the transfer case, which is flawed.

On its own, GL5 is a better fluid than that of a GL4 of similar viscosity grade in that:
a)GL5 has slightly thicker operating viscosity than a GL4, offering higher MOFT that offers stronger wear protection to gears and bearings within.It delivers lower non-corrosive wear than a GL4; and
b)GL5 has higher EP additives, whether or not the spur gears within a transfer case requires it .... but it costs about the same as a GL4 ...... why not a GL5? ...... not forgetting rationalising with differential GL5.

Is it 'better' for the Transfer Case?
Of course, it is. Absolutely.

Note:If I guess it right, this 4Runner transfer case does NOT have bronze as hi/low shifter sleeve material.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Many GL-5 gear oils pass 1a copper strip test. Does that make your choice easier?

Well, not really. I don't know what you are talking about. I guess it's some type of corrosion/wear test. Would that test apply to the transfer case?

GL-5 is for a very specific purpose- its only better for gearsets that have significant rubbing contact- things like hypoid gears (solid axle and rear-drive differentials) or worm gears (garden tiller gearboxes, Torsen differentials,etc.) For anything with straight-cut or helical gears like transmissions and transfer cases that don't have a hypoid gearset, GL-4 is a better choice. GL-5 has sulfur-based EP additives and is a no-no for manual transmissions with brass synchronizers and bronze bushings.

Last edited:
I'd use GL-4 in the TC. If it has a MT then I'd use the same fluid in both in the off chance that there's some bleed through and they share some oil. And not to sound like a parrot but the Redline MT90 works great. That's what I have in my 3.4l Tacoma.

I was told GL-4 was the better choice for a transfer case because of the type of gears used in it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I was told GL-4 was the better choice for a transfer case because of the type of gears used in it.

Not true.
That's a myth in Bitog.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Not true.
That's a myth in Bitog.

It wasn't from Bitog it was from a mechanic with an older 4x4. He also told me not to use synthetic gear oils in my differentials. There's a lot of that going around too.

Originally Posted By: TurboFiat124
The GL-4 subject caught my attention. I just recently bought a Citroen 2CV and it says to use GL-4 EP in the transmission. The only place in the US I could find it was Amazon.com . I mean I could order it from Europe but the shipping is expensive and wanted to do it now before building a wish list.

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL24239-GL-4-Multi-Purpose-Hypoid/dp/B000M8RYMC

GL-5 is supposed to contain sulfur which will attack the brass synchronizers. I've owned Fiats for about 25 years and the transmissions calls for GL-1 90. Sort of hard to find at autopart stores but widely available at tractor stores like Tractor Supply and is actually cheaper than GL-5.

Just like the HLP-68 my Trabant uses which ended up being AW-68.

Just about every Fiat I've bought has had worn synchronizers. Except for my Yugo. Once I had the transmission overhauled, and put the correct oil in it, they did just fine.

I suspect allot of owners put GL-5 in the transmissions out of ignorance which led to the synchronizers early death.

When I drained the gear oil from my Citroen it had the same pungent smell of GL-5. I tend to hear gear a bit of clash when going from 4th to 3rd and sometimes 3rd to 2nd. The car only has 24,000 miles on it so I wouldn't think the synchronizers would be worn this early.

I got to where I just blip the throttle with the clutch pressed in before downshifting which seems to do the trick.

Funny that the Citroen has no gear clash when going up through the gears, just downshifting.

The Fiats wanted to grind when going from 1st to 2nd. Double clutching would prevent this but no amount of double clutching works on the Citroen. Just blipping the throttle when the clutch in. I guess this aligns the gears somehow.

This is probably more than you wanted to know but just based on my experience, use GL-4 if the transfer case or transmission calls for it because it does in fact seem to eat brass!

Unless specifically called for, I would not use GL-5. But, I would look at any tranny that was giving any gear change issues and try Redline MTL first. It has magically "fixed" more manual tranny's than I can count on both hands. It'll handle all the loads you care to throw at it and it will not hurt synchros
smile.gif
It's spendy, but well worth it
smile.gif

As far as transfer case goes, I'd be using GL-4 as I see no reason for GL-5. If it has a push button engagement (motor driven shift), I might use Redline MTL to make it easier to engage in cold weather ...

And, if you want to keep differentials alive with manual tranny's and big load, you use Redline Shockproof. It has kept about a zillion differentials alive in drag racing with launches under big power with very sticky tires for a long time. It is far beyond GL-5
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Redline says to use 75-90 in transfer case.

Which can be GL-4 or GL-5. I've used both in my 4Runner transfer case. Both were synthetic, and I've never noticed any difference in how it operates. Currently it has a GL-5 gear oil in it, as I had enough left from changing the front diff and rear axle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back