GL-4 or GL-5 for Tacoma MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 99 4wd Tacoma with the 5 speed manual transmission. Book calls for a Gl-4 or GL-5 gear oil for this transmission. Just curious as to what others are runnign in these transmissions?

Ok, well I'm asking in terms of using it in the transfer case of my 2008 Honda Ridgeline, would GL-5 be better than GL-4 for a transfer case? The manual says to use either GL-4 or GL-5 80W-90 and I want to put in the best stuff i can find.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nfs480
Ok, well I'm asking in terms of using it in the transfer case of my 2008 Honda Ridgeline, would GL-5 be better than GL-4 for a transfer case? The manual says to use either GL-4 or GL-5 80W-90 and I want to put in the best stuff i can find.

GL-5 won't buy you anything in that transfer case.

On the newer, 05+ Tacos GL-5 weakens gears in the transmission--attacks bronze. One of the members at TTORA had to replace a busted 6-speed on his Taco. GL-5 was a contributing factor. Stay with GL-4.

Driving style or factory defect the likely cause. Can't blame a GL5 for a 'busted 6-speed'.

I put over 250k miles on a 5-speed using GL5 gear oil. When I cracked the case, the guts were spotless. Shifted pretty good too. No damage to any bronze components.

The real issue is most GL5's have LSD additives which in some transmissions can cause shift headaches. If you want to use GL5 in a manual, look for a non-lsd gl5 gear oil.

For any gearbox, I would always prefer a GL5 over a GL4. Transfer cases tend to be undersumped, overstressed, and undermaintained. So, I would think that the added protection is a plus.

If shift quality isn't as good as you want, then use the GL4.

Say what you want, but GL-5 does not like new Taco's transmission, syncros in particualr. Was it fully responsible for tranny failer--no, but it was definitely a contributing factor. As far as driving styles---mostly Autobahn, at 140+ MPH (past the factory limiter), and some wheeling too. Tacomas are supposed to meter-proof, not puke their guts at under 36K miles. :)
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64073&highlight=transmission
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101964
Read post# 18 in the second link: "The big problem with GL-5 is there are a number of additives they can add to the base stock oils to get them to pass the tests. Some of these are sulfur-based compounds that can eat the bronze metals in the syncros... Some GL-5's don't contain these. So stick with a proven GL-4 and you're set. I also agree that if you're changing the oil every 30k or so and aren't beating the [censored] out of your truck on a daily basis that regular dino oil is fine. Redline Mt-90 is better of course but also costs a lot more....."

That's my story and I am sticking to it. :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unDummy
Driving style or factory defect the likely cause. Can't blame a GL5 for a 'busted 6-speed'.

I put over 250k miles on a 5-speed using GL5 gear oil. When I cracked the case, the guts were spotless. Shifted pretty good too. No damage to any bronze components.

The real issue is most GL5's have LSD additives which in some transmissions can cause shift headaches. If you want to use GL5 in a manual, look for a non-lsd gl5 gear oil.

For any gearbox, I would always prefer a GL5 over a GL4. Transfer cases tend to be undersumped, overstressed, and undermaintained. So, I would think that the added protection is a plus.

If shift quality isn't as good as you want, then use the GL4.

Well I spoke with a tech today at Valvoline and he stated that some GL-5's could be harmful to the yellow metals in manual transmissions. He specifically mentioned Toyota and Nissan. Of course he said Valvoline gear lubes would work as they were backwards compatable with GL-4. He did mention the sulphur content of GL-5 as being one of the major culprits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back