Giving out VIN for carfax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: D189379

I didn't realize we had such nuts on this website?

BITOG is the truly one forum I belong to that has the full swath of America represented on it. Its nice. At times.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Nothing disgusts me more when selling something, than the short email stating 'what is you rock bottom price?'. Honestly, I put things out there TO SELL at the listed price. I hate negotiating, and time must mean something to both parties.

Negotiating is a time honored tradition when it comes to selling cars. If you don't want to negotiate, just list it low and it'll go right away. Negotiating is the market speaking to you that your price is too high. When I see a good deal on craigslist, I don't bother negotiating, when it's ok, then it's worth my time to try and get a lower price. A little bit of time will save a lot more than an hourly rate. Plus many people aren't good at it. The real key is to always be willing to walk away if the price isn't right.

There's lots of nuts out there, I just hope that the sane ones drown them out.

It's interesting to me how far apart opinions are. For me, as a buyer, it's unlikely I'd buy something used without running it through Carfax. I think to many peoples points, there are inaccuracies or missing information, but something is better than nothing. It's also a good check against what a seller is telling me.

As a seller, I would still be hesitant to email it, not really for any good reason, just a gut feeling. I can't stand emails asking what my rock bottom price is, come see the car in person, if I'm going to waste my time the buyer should too.

IMO a big part of the question has to do with where in the lifecycle a car is. I've typically sold stuff at end of life, and pretty much make it know that it either has a couple of issues, or it's old and may have issues in the future (if asked). I love reading those ads on craigslist that say how solid the card is, just needs a new tranny or how this saturn with 240K will never leave you stranded.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
Originally Posted By: KB2008X

I've sold plenty of cars privately and have been asked to send the VIN through an e-mail before and refused to. Most arranged a meeting to look at the vehicle without any squawking, as for the others it was their loss. Folks who use CarFax and similar services are fools and you're better off without them.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
there is no reason not to give the vin. if a seller refuses, i consider it stolen and notify the police immediately.

Care to explain that ?

Well on one hand we have a person that thinks people shouldn't do their due diligence before going to look at a used vehicle of unknown history, and should choose to opt out of a VIN database tracking site that records things like mileage tampering and vehicle accidents.

One the other hand we have someone who thinks they should phone the police and report someone for theft for not volunteering a VIN # on a car they are trying to sell.

To me, it sounds like a couple of oddball people with extremely opposite, irrational stances on something that happens thousands of times every day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

IMO a big part of the question has to do with where in the lifecycle a car is. I've typically sold stuff at end of life, and pretty much make it know that it either has a couple of issues, or it's old and may have issues in the future (if asked). I love reading those ads on craigslist that say how solid the card is, just needs a new tranny or how this saturn with 240K will never leave you stranded.

I couldn't agree more. If I'm buying or selling a $2k beater, I really don't care if it was a former rental car, or had a previous accident. If it's in good shape and doesn't have any major issues, I'm good to go. There are also a lot more $2k buyers out there than $2k cars, so I won't deal with a lot of [censored] from a buyer if I am selling.

A 2 or 3 year old car is a different story. I won't consider buying a former rental or vehicle that was in an accident, and as a seller I want my buyer to do their research and due diligence before they show up to look at the car. They already saw it's a 1 owner, no accidents on the Carfax, and when they show up and see it's in showroom condition - always sold to the first person that looks at it.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: mjk
Nothing disgusts me more when selling something, than the short email stating 'what is you rock bottom price?'. Honestly, I put things out there TO SELL at the listed price. I hate negotiating, and time must mean something to both parties.

Negotiating is a time honored tradition when it comes to selling cars. If you don't want to negotiate, just list it low and it'll go right away. Negotiating is the market speaking to you that your price is too high. When I see a good deal on craigslist, I don't bother negotiating, when it's ok, then it's worth my time to try and get a lower price. A little bit of time will save a lot more than an hourly rate. Plus many people aren't good at it. The real key is to always be willing to walk away if the price isn't right.

Yeah, but it's pretty rude to open up with that question without even looking at the car. It's like messaging someone on an online dating site "so what's the minimum I have to do to get in your pants?"

There are a few steps you have to take before you dive into the potential answers to those questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back