Give up smartphone for a week, get paid $1,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://bgr.com/2019/06/06/smartphone-addiction-give-up-your-phone-frontier/

In this case, Internet service provider Frontier Communications is the "someone" in question, and it's just launched its "Flip Phone Challenge" apparently right in time for the 30th anniversary of the first Motorola phone with a clamshell design, the MicroTAC, that was created in 1989. Frontier is especially looking for smartphone addicts and people with a strong social media presence and/or who are willing to vlog about their experience.

Never fear, though: Frontier is also throwing in a "survival kit" to sweeten the offer.
What's in the kit, you ask? Why, a physical map, of course, to make up for the lack of GPS in your phone. Also, they're throwing in a pocket phonebook, so you can write down numbers you'll need for the week, plus a notepad and pen as well as a few 90s-era CDs to help ease the pain of a Spotify withdrawal.

"If you're chosen, you'll be responsible for using a flip phone in place of your smartphone for seven full days (that's 168 hours!), and we want you to log your experience," the company explains. "We'll have you track (don't worry, your info stays safe with us!) how long it takes you to do basic tasks such as texting and checking email, how many times you wish you could Google something, how many hours you slept" and much more.
Follow this link to the entry form, https://www.frontierbundles.com/blog/pay-1k-flip-phone-challenge/ all ye hardy souls who want to apply.

For those of us whom are not addicted to the smartphone, this is a no-brainer.
I have an Iphone 4; still, to this day with no problems.
I do ZERO surfing or run any apps.
I use it to talk and rarely text.

Might have to look into this offer ...

Must be a USA citizen...boo.

08.gif

I could do this in a heartbeat.

My phone is a company phone too.

I guess it wouldn't be fair to just use my hotspot and tablet for those things I'd normally use my phone ...

Now if they would let you do this on a vacation, I'd totally be in. Take a week off of work and try to vacation with a map and a flip phone, just like Grandpa used to do in the 1990s

I would give my smartphone for someone to hold onto for a week if they gave me $1,000 to do that. I can get by with all phone calls, texts and emails going unanswered for a week. I can live without google for a week.

But $1,000 isn't enough to have to use a flip phone and be required to access voice messages, text or email and to respond, as well as log the instances when I would rather have access to google. That is too much like work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
For those of us whom are not addicted to the smartphone, this is a no-brainer.
I have an Iphone 4; still, to this day with no problems.
I do ZERO surfing or run any apps.
I use it to talk and rarely text.

Might have to look into this offer ...

Dave-if you have Verizon, you may need to look into a newer iPhone, they're killing the 2G & 3G networks at the end of the year. I had to retire my 4 & replace it with an SE to keep voice.

No drug testing or background check required.

Step 1. Alter state of mind
Step 2. Forget what cell phones are for a week
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit

where is my thousand ? I already pitched my phone out the window...I for one can live without a phone of any kind . only reason I have it is for work and occasionally the wife calling

I guess I am excluded from this offer since I have a flip phone which has texting disabled, and NO internet access?

I REFUSE TO BE one of those who 'live on their phone', and walk into walls/doors because of it!
31.gif

The company doing this is smart. They are only choosing one person which isn't squat financially and the company is getting tons of free press.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The company doing this is smart. They are only choosing one person which isn't squat financially and the company is getting tons of free press.

X2...this is very smart marketing. Cheap, tons of publicity, and the social media influencer does most of the work writing about the experience.

I'd do it, but I am not a social media influencer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back