Give Me Your Opinion About These Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have various filters in my Stash. I will list them and I wonder your opinions about how many miles they can go. All are the equivilent of a Fram PH3614 or PH3600 in size.

Also, which one is the best in your opinion? Your true opinionated voices are welcome.

1. PureOne. 2010 production.
2. Mobil M1-102 Extended Performance. Two of these.
3. Bosch Distance+.
4. Fram Extended Guard. 2012 production.
5. Microguard. 2010 production. Inner cage is metal.
6. Toyota Filter. 2010 production. Made in Thailand. Two of these.
7. STP E-Core. Plastic cage on the inside.

Thanks.

The Bosch Distance plus is the best of the bunch. I've used them for two OCIs and 15k total without a problem. (1) 5k (2)10k (3)15k (4) 7.5k (5) 6k (6) 5k (7) 3k
All subjective filter life from my use or reading of posts here.

Any of the first three are the best.

The old XG is probably cheaply made; the only Fram worth using is the new Ultra.

Can't go wrong with OEM

the Ecore is meh

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Bosch is a purolater i would be careful of tears and wavy media

The D+ is not affected by this. It is a more robust design that is different.

However, the regular Bosch Premium (black can) is a P1, so it's affected.

Motorcrafts are also made by Purolator, but they are rarely if ever affected--again, it's due to a different design

The Purolator Synthetic is not affected, either, nor is the Bosch Long Life (silver can, Puro syn clone)

It really only affects spin-on Classics, P1's, Bosch, Mann, and their clones from 2013-2014. Since the OP's P1 is from 2010, he is safe
smile.gif

The Mobil 1 is probably the best overall.

I was/am a fan of the PureOnes for cost vs performance. They are on my cars now and I have run up to 9k on them with no problems at all. I guess I like the bright yellow color and grippy cover.

Would probably rank the plastic e-core last, though I admit I have no experience with them.

Depends on the application. I prefer front end bypass on engines originally equipped with front end bypass filters. In those cases I would choose the M1. I don't care for the construction of the Extra Guard or E-Core. Don't know enough about the older Microguard or Toyota to have an opinion. Used many Pure1 filters on my GMC truck, and find them OK. I would also rate Distance Plus good.

The Distance+ is the best filter in your bunch followed by the Mobil 1 and PureOne. The others are about equal with my opinion that the Fram and Microgard is the bottom of the bunch. Nothing wrong with the STP e-core for routine average mile oil change intervals. I would actually rather have the STP on my car than any Fram with the exception of the Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I have various filters in my Stash. I will list them and I wonder your opinions about how many miles they can go. All are the equivilent of a Fram PH3614 or PH3600 in size.

Also, which one is the best in your opinion? Your true opinionated voices are welcome.

1. PureOne. 2010 production.
2. Mobil M1-102 Extended Performance. Two of these.
3. Bosch Distance+.
4. Fram Extended Guard. 2012 production.
5. Microguard. 2010 production. Inner cage is metal.
6. Toyota Filter. 2010 production. Made in Thailand. Two of these.
7. STP E-Core. Plastic cage on the inside.

Thanks.

Any of them would easily go the OEM OCI duration.
The moderate filter will do 2x the OEM OCI.
The upper end filters would probably up to 3x the OEM OCI.

Much of this is predicated on two things:
1 - the engine is clean and in good shape
2 - the engine is now a known sludger

Other than that, use them and worry about other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back