Give Fram credit where credit is due

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram may be the only filter that I have yet to feel a bur or a metal shaving on the threads. Very big deal to me. Looked at an ecore at WM today. Ran my index finger across the threads and was rewarded with a metal splinter. I have found this alot with Wix/Napa filters with significant frequency. I also white rag the threads of every filter I put on. Now for the rest of the filter...

Good thing my 3 uses a cartridge filter. No metal splinters for me.
55.gif

I run Fram all the time. In fact it my filter of choice. People on this board will give you [censored], But Fram makes a decent filter.

I will say give Purolator credit though. My Uncle changed oil in his Buick a few years back and the filter had a defect that leaked most of his oil out over the course of about a week ( wifes car). Purolator sent a kit to send the filter back to them for analysis and after looking it over, told him to take it to his local GM dealership for a new engine. The motor was still running at the time and showed no ill effects, But had only 19,000 miles on it and Purolator basically made him replace it and addimtted their filter was faulty.

I know people on here give Fram a hard time as well as Valvoline All-Climate, but I got 300,000 miles out of a Ford Ranger with a Fram PH-8A and Valvoline 5W-30. I never had any problems at all with Fram filters. The truck hauled three or four loads of firewood a week (as much as could be stacked on it). The truck still ran when I sold it and for all I know, it is still out there somewhere.

I ran them for close to 30 years, until I joined BITOG, then made the change to Pure One and Mobil 1 filters. All the years I ran them I never had a problem. But there are better filters for the same money, or in some cases even less.

I see the lack of problems from running Fram a strong argument against putting extra money into the more expensive filters. Now that AAP is stocking PF 457's, I will be running them. I am, still looking for something to replace the ST 3950. I hate paying half again as for a Purolator that has a dome end bypass and half as much filter area.

Originally Posted By: lsxjon
Fram may be the only filter that I have yet to feel a bur or a metal shaving on the threads. Very big deal to me. Looked at an ecore at WM today. Ran my index finger across the threads and was rewarded with a metal splinter. I have found this alot with Wix/Napa filters with significant frequency. I also white rag the threads of every filter I put on. Now for the rest of the filter...

For the record, I have been using Toyota OEM filters and also have never found a splinter in the threads since I started using them in '06.

Where do you people find all of these filters with these crummy threads?

I use Wix/Napa, Mobil 1, and AC Delco, all without an issue.

?????

Here are some pictures of a used Fram Filter:

ff161.jpg

ff162.jpg

ff163.jpg

ff164.jpg

ff165.jpg

Here is what the engine looked like after running el-cheapo Dino and Fram filters for 10K KM (6K Mile) OCI's after 238K KM (149K Miles) when the engine died due to a ring problem.

1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

This engine died due to a blown piston ring, which was determined to be a manufacturing defect and not that of the oil/filter.

The engine is heavily varnished, but otherwise very clean considering the engine was run twice as long as the recommended OCI on dino oil using fram filters.

I will let you make your own speculations.

I am constantly amazed at how so many on BITOG will speak of their cars/trucks that had to run $30k to $45k to buy, but will insist on buying a filter because it was a couple of dollars cheaper than a better quality one. I just don't get it
54.gif

For the record, the vehicles I used the Fram filters and Valvoline oil only on vehicles I had paid less then $5000 for. I figured the price of the filters and the oil was right, considering my financial situation at the time. I took the valve cover off the engine at 200k miles and everything was clean as could be. For the price, I was well pleased with the results.

As I mentioned since I joined BITOG I stopped using Fram orange can filters. I have used the TG filters, if they came as part of an AAP oil/filter deal, but I usually wait for the Pure One deals from AAP. As far as their air filters go, I still use them and think they're actually pretty good filters. JMO

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Where do you people find all of these filters with these crummy threads?

I use Wix/Napa, Mobil 1, and AC Delco, all without an issue.

?????

Ditto????
21.gif
I have used and sold in my life AC, MOPAR, Motorcraft, Bosch, Hastings, Baldwin, Wix, Napa Gold/Silver/Pro Select, Purolator, Mobil 1, K&N, Royal Purple, Moroso, etc... never had a bur. To be fair never had a bur on a Fram either but this seems like a big stretch to defend using such a cheap product?

Last edited:
Just because something is more expensive, doesn't mean it does its job better. I don't think Fram filters are very good, but they have a very successful record. The purpose of oil and filters is to prevent engine wear and sludge. Nearly all engines are going strong when the rest of the car falls apart. To me, that proves dino and Fram is good enough. Of course, if I can get a filter that looks better to me for the same or less, no way am I using Fram. Since I bought my first Pontiac in 1980, I have always used AC when I could find them at a reasonable price. When I couldn't I have used various other brands, Fram some and after cutting one open, ST and some other lower priced filters. I am still waiting for hard data showing Wix, Baldwin, Amsoil, etc. produce less engine wear and sludge than Fram.

I never had to trade off a car due to engine wear or sludge. My Valiant did show some wear at 120K, but I was running Valvoline and Lee filters. My Phoneix had a sludge problem. I found it after I had switched from Pennzoil to Quaker State. Likely the main problem was the 6 month/6k OCI that I understood the manual called for. The manual for my Grand Am was much more explicit about 3/3k for short trips. It was pretty clean at 180K.

I keep looking at the cost vs. longer OCI's for synthetic, but so far am sticking to YB.

The only Fram I use is the Extended Guard series for $7.97 at Wal-Mart. This filter line is truly top notch and competitively priced, built like a brick zhithouse inside. Other than that I pass on Fram as their other offerings have marginal build quality, certainly not suitable for extended replacement intervals which is how I use them.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
I am constantly amazed at how so many on BITOG will speak of their cars/trucks that had to run $30k to $45k to buy, but will insist on buying a filter because it was a couple of dollars cheaper than a better quality one. I just don't get it
54.gif

Agreed 100%! Maybe if I had a $1500 beater I would buy a Fram for it. But then again, I could spend the same or even less and buy an OE filter at Wal-Mart( AC/MOPAR/Motorcraft )or something like a Napa Silver/Proselect. For the same or maybe $2 more I could buy a Bosch, Wix/Napa Gold, Purolator, Hastings, Baldwin, etc...

I truly see NO reason to buy Fram filters. If performance is your criteria for buying a filter they are adequate at best. If quality of construction is your criteria for buying a filter they are one of the most( if not the most )cheaply constructed filter out there that is readily available. If they offer a decent filter it is extremely over priced and is no better than the average Wix/Purolator that costs less at that point. If price is your main criteria for buying a filter you can get better than a Fram for slightly more $$$, the same $$$, or even less $$$.

To me there is just no valid reason to select a Fram and use it purposely. There are generally only 3 main reasons to buy a filter to start with and in all 3 of those instances a different filter mfg's offering can do better for you. Now, if for some reason ONLY Fram offers your filter, or the only aftermarket filter is $10-$12+ and the Fram is $4, ok I can see that( I would spend the extra money personally but I can see this argument ). If the filter came as part of a package deal and you want to use it that too I can see( I would throw it out or sell/give it away with a disclaimer relieving me of any liability personally however ).

To purposely go out and select a Fram filter as your filter of choice, over all the countless other filters at similar cost that are vastly superior in performance and quality, thus ultimately providing superior reliability, is beyond my ability to comprehend with all we know to be fact about them. You kow, I have never heard a Framite defend Fram filters with the claim they are the best available and that is why they use them. I have only heard they are "good enough", "I have run them for X # of miles and my engine hasn't exploded yet", and similar comments. No ringing endorsements just that they are "good enough".

I would not want someone like that as my Dr, my mechanic, my contractor, my teacher, etc... It isn't like I think if you runa Fram your are toast. It is just that the filters are made so poorly using such cheap materials, yet they cost as much as superior offerings, I can't grasp anyone purposely buying them and using them.

Don't get it???
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: labman
Just because something is more expensive, doesn't mean it does its job better. I don't think Fram filters are very good, but they have a very successful record. The purpose of oil and filters is to prevent engine wear and sludge. Nearly all engines are going strong when the rest of the car falls apart. To me, that proves dino and Fram is good enough. Of course, if I can get a filter that looks better to me for the same or less, no way am I using Fram. Since I bought my first Pontiac in 1980, I have always used AC when I could find them at a reasonable price. When I couldn't I have used various other brands, Fram some and after cutting one open, ST and some other lower priced filters. I am still waiting for hard data showing Wix, Baldwin, Amsoil, etc. produce less engine wear and sludge than Fram.

I never had to trade off a car due to engine wear or sludge. My Valiant did show some wear at 120K, but I was running Valvoline and Lee filters. My Phoneix had a sludge problem. I found it after I had switched from Pennzoil to Quaker State. Likely the main problem was the 6 month/6k OCI that I understood the manual called for. The manual for my Grand Am was much more explicit about 3/3k for short trips. It was pretty clean at 180K.

I keep looking at the cost vs. longer OCI's for synthetic, but so far am sticking to YB.

Exactly, which is why I use Purolator White filters vs Orange can, and Pure One vs Tough guard. Both for me cost less and IMO are a better filter than a Fram. Back in the day when I used Fram Orange, they were the least expensive filters anywhere local. They went on all my beaters, and my E-150 got Mobil 1 filters.

Been using Frams for years. They are the cheapest and most common filter up here - in fact, most parts stores carry nothing BUT Frams - finding something else just isn't worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back