GF6 CAFE vs DRL's

This is interesting. The quest to save carbon footprint has coughed up GF6A GF6B, one example the 0w16's ("AFE's")
It's said the use of such low visc oil can save 1-1.5 maybe 2% on fuel usage for same miles (in the lab).
But the % of vehicles spec'd to use such oil is very low.

The use of DRL's is said to be about 1% (avg across all vehicles). Many DRL's turn off at night, some don't.

To save on carbon footprint, would it just not be more fruitful to take the gains now on 1% for ditching DRL's vs the very small % of vehicles actually running low visc motor oils (just because the idiot label says 0w16 that does not mean people are using it)? Lubrizol and SAE do say the these GF6's may take 10+ yrs to become dominant, but no guarantee as things move more to EV's (which btw is not the future of vehicle power, fuel cell is).

Or, is it just the case that whatever safety the DRL's provide are worth the +1% in fuel consumption?

1% for drl is a lot, and manufacturers can use LED lighting for it. 8W led power, doesn't mean anything when a car needs 20 kW to maintain 80 on a flat road

The 1% was mixed with LED use. (https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-economy/drl-gas-consumption.htm)

80mph or 0mph, the 1% is 1% (actual gal savings though is shown as 1% across the daylight gal use hrs).

Just like AFE oils, 1% or 1.5% is 1% or 1.5% savings, etc.

Your article is the problem.

You cannot answer the question using a percentage of MPG .

A 1% reduction in fuel economy on a vehicle that consumes fuel at 20 MPG is a reduction of 0.2 MPG.
A 1% reduction in fuel economy on a vehicle that consumes fuel at 50 MPG is a reduction of 0.5 MPG.

A similar 90W electrical load doesn't magically cause a more fuel efficient vehicle a 250% difference than a less fuel efficient vehicle.

Your article is the problem.

You cannot answer the question using a percentage of MPG .

A 1% reduction in fuel economy on a vehicle that consumes fuel at 20 MPG is a reduction of 0.2 MPG.
A 1% reduction in fuel economy on a vehicle that consumes fuel at 50 MPG is a reduction of 0.5 MPG.

A similar 90W electrical load doesn't magically cause a more fuel efficient vehicle a 250% difference than a less fuel efficient vehicle.
Did you read the article, they took an avg MPG #. Avg MPG, Avg light watts, etc etc. 1% across the Avg.
1% of fuel is 1% of fuel regardless of MPG's, the only diff would be the diff in miles driven, which is not of concern here, the concern is burning fuel to power the lights. The 1% is gal use.

1-2% improvement compared to what grade?

ExxonMobil is not clear in their marketing material for AFE, it only says vs. a "heavier" oil. Could as well be when compared against a 50-grade.

ExxonMobil is not clear in their marketing material for AFE, it only says vs. a "heavier" oil. Could as well be when compared against a 50-grade.
I believe the "compared to what" does not apply, they only state 0w16 or even 0w12 have 1-2% potential. I only assume it's probably comparing to the previous spec'd oil that was at the time the "best AFE" the OEM was using, or, just another engine built specifically for say a 0w16 and they run MPG tests to say it gained more MPG's at some % over the last best engine. Some ASTM/CAFE/ILSAC lab tests presumably?

He shows it in the vid

But other online vids about GF6's & 0w16 tell a tale of the 1-2% goal, but does appear those are lab numbers.

But overall, the use of say 0w16's from OEM are small # compared to total vehicles out there that have DRL's.

If the goal was to combat the dire existential "Earth dies in 11yrs" problem, then perhaps looking at ditching the requirement for DRL's is pertinent?
I would also factor in DRL time factor of "at what times are DRL's useful", meaning, if nobody is around you while the vehicle is on it's journey from A-to-B, then the DRL's are kinda useless during that journey, kinda like the old "tree falls in forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make any noise" question, how useful are DRL's in application, they are on "all" the time but most of that time they are technically not needed.

What about auto-trans gas waste when stopped in gear? My vehicle idles at about 790rpm in N, but idles at about 590 in D. The engine is driving a load when idle-D, but I have yet to hook up scope to see what the injectors PWM looks like between the two. If idle-D uses more gas then it's just add to carbon footprint.

This 2020 Rav4 Limited has some new feature, you can activate it and it allows you to take foot off brake while stopped at a light, but I do not yet know if it does anything to the auto trans (like switch to N or something).

+2% savings switching from a 0w20 to a 0w16, so they say. Crazy, right?
ref: https://www.noln.net/articles/2277-the-skinny-on-ow-16-oil
What type of fuel efficiency increase are you seeing with 0W-16 oil? Miyamoto: So we tested a Honda Fit on a dynamometer. The 0W-16 showed an improvement in fuel economy by 2 percent when compared to 0W-20.

Can some one up up the savings from going from a 40 to a 30 to a 20 to a 16 then with the DRL off?
Easy test to do in the real world. Run on 40 wt with DRL on for 3 months then run 16 wt with DRL off for 3 months
(needs same weather and same road usage/traffic for 6 months) or just keep your tires inflated to correct air pressure.

Today I clocked 22 mpg on a 235 mile trip driving around 70mph. I don’t think turning my DRL to off would have saved a measurable amount. They are LED.and my satellite radio pulls more load. running the ac.that was probably aweful. It’s more in how you drive and how fast you go and for my truck, wind. Everything else is as random as traffic I may see in5 metropolitan areas I drove through.

that doesnt compute my DRL are
Charging 2 phones uses more than that.
driving 1-2mph faster uses more than that.

Back