GF4 vs GF-5 M1 Ep

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I saw Autocrack had 5 quarts M1 EP and a M1 filter for $34.99 sale going on, I bought it immediatly and really didn't check when I was buying because
1) I was tired
2) china-food was waiting back home
3) I didn't plan on buying when I went in and it was an impulse buy anyway...

I get home, and it's the old GF-4 bottles.... well played Autocrack..

Any reason I shouldn't keep the stuff and see if another autozone has GF5/dexos 1 stuf? Keeping in mind that I do have a vehicle that requires Dexos 1. I'm thinking it has to of been sitting on the shelf for 1-2 years already if it's still the GF-4 formulation, so my other question is what's the typical shelf-life?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
They claim 5 years shelf life, and unless your car is new and requires SN oil, it is not worth the gas to bring it back.

If the vehicle does not spec the GF-5, I wouldn't loose sleep over it, go ahead and use it without a worry...

I believe someone previously posted an "excerpt" of their owner's manual as far as the "dexos" requirement, and the owner's manual basically said "in a pinch" (i.e.: nothing else is available...) SM OR SN oil CAN be used....

I've heard that the whole "dexos" thing is primarily for the "OLM calibration" or something....? Don't know how accurate that is though....how they can add smething to the oil to "interact" with the oil life monitor, lol.

I think the switch to Dexos was mostly for the benefit of the DI and Turbo engines that GM is producing now. I had a similar experience with the same oil change deal. I got three quarts of GF-5/Dexos and two of GF-4/SM... I noted it at the time of purchase but the clerk said that was all the 5w-30 that was left...

Quote:
If the vehicle does not spec the GF-5, I wouldn't loose sleep over it, go ahead and use it without a worry...

Dexos 1 and GF-5 go hand-in hand don't they?

I'm not sure I would mind using it, but now that I've mellowed a bit I think I know what I'll do..

If The other local autozone does not have it in GF-5 (I suspect not-- as I'm sure this is a thing to get rid of old stock by now..) I may just return it. Right now I'm a little p/o'd that I was sold a year old specification to being with. Walmart hasen't even carried GF-4 products since january.. I expect an automotive supply store to have more current product than ghetto-mart...

Last edited:
And the price is kinda rough. I just picked up three cases of standard M1 5W-30 at Costco at $27 each with their $10 off coupon. They just have a pallet sitting out and I thought, "I'll bet this is how they get rid of their SM" but, I opened a box and sure enough, SN, GF-5.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
And the price is kinda rough. I just picked up three cases of standard M1 5W-30 at Costco at $27 each with their $10 off coupon. They just have a pallet sitting out and I thought, "I'll bet this is how they get rid of their SM" but, I opened a box and sure enough, SN, GF-5.

ehh, it really isn't a lot of savings compared to normal wally-world pricing I suppose, but $7 is $7, and I'm fine with a M1 Filter vs the RP I normally use.

I found an autozone that let me exchange the GF4 for GF5 bottles hassle free, so I'm happy.

Last edited:
M1 5W-30 SM is more than a suitable replacement for Dexos 1. Before Dexos 1's availability to the dealers (before SN oils were released) GM and XOM recommended M1 as a replacement.

I personally think M1 SN is superior but its not by a huge margin. I would use SM but seeing as how you were able to trade it for SN I think thats even better.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....it's all the same oil.

My thoughts exactly.

We are nitpicking here. If the GF5 never released, your car would have lasted just as long on the GF4 stuff. Its all good for long drain intervals and overkill for short ones, as it has always been since the original formula in the late 1970s.

I wouldn't call it "Well played" by autozone. They have no idea if the stuff is GF4 or GF5, that wisdom is only reserved for you nuts on the BITOG FORUM
smile.gif
lol. They are just running a decent promo as always.

Naturally, it is going to take a few years to cycle all the new stuff onto the shelves. My Walmart (where I get my 5 quart jugs of M1 EP) doesn't have the new stuff yet and I could care less, any Mobil 1 EP oil is amazing stuff, since they first started bottling it.

Now to go and RETURN it for the newer formulation of M1 EP? They must have looked at you cross eyed when you tried to explain that you wanted to exchange M1 Ep for....M1 Ep...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redwolf4k
Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....it's all the same oil.

My thoughts exactly.

We are nitpicking here. If the GF5 never released, your car would have lasted just as long on the GF4 stuff. Its all good for long drain intervals and overkill for short ones, as it has always been since the original formula in the late 1970s.

I wouldn't call it "Well played" by autozone. They have no idea if the stuff is GF4 or GF5, that wisdom is only reserved for you nuts on the BITOG FORUM
smile.gif
lol. They are just running a decent promo as always.

Naturally, it is going to take a few years to cycle all the new stuff onto the shelves. My Walmart (where I get my 5 quart jugs of M1 EP) doesn't have the new stuff yet and I could care less, any Mobil 1 EP oil is amazing stuff, since they first started bottling it.

Now to go and RETURN it for the newer formulation of M1 EP? They must have looked at you cross eyed when you tried to explain that you wanted to exchange M1 Ep for....M1 Ep...

it's sort of a warranty POM thing at this point, GF-5 is Dexos 1 approved, GF-4 is not.

yes, they did give me an odd look when I asked to exchange EP for some more EP that had a little dexos symbol on the bottle. Amazingly though, when I called ahead she acutally knew the difference and pulled the right stuff for me though. I half expected regular M1 when I walked up, but sure enough, it was EP.

I bought Mobil 1 0W-40 at the last Kragen/O'Reilly sale few months ago; got it home and it was SL. A little surprising but no biggie for my 2006 car.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

At the Costco where I work, we carry Chevron conventional and Mobil1. We started selling the SN formulations almost right after it became readily available earlier in the year. I thought it was cool how quickly we got the new stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back