GF-6 delayed again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Delayed till Jan 2017, my current GF-5 stash will be gone by then.

Mine won't.
I'd better buy a couple more cars.

lol It might be a good excuse for me to buy a little more oil to hold me until the next latest and greatest is available. I just have to calculate correctly so I don't buy too much. I don't want to be using GF-5 oil when GF-6 is available. What would BITOG think?

Mine won't.

lol It might be a good excuse for me to buy a little more oil to hold me until the next latest and greatest is available. I just have to calculate correctly so I don't buy too much. I don't want to be using GF-5 oil when GF-6 is available. What would BITOG think?

Gf-6 has to prove itself first. That outta take a couple years. That should cut you a little slack.
Once gf-6 hits the streets all the gf-5 should go on sale.

Mine won't.

Gf-6 has to prove itself first. That outta take a couple years. That should cut you a little slack.
Once gf-6 hits the streets all the gf-5 should go on sale.

I'll worry about it in 2017 if I'm still breathing.

I don't want to be using GF-5 oil when GF-6 is available. What would BITOG think?

Well, I'm just about out of GF-5 stuff. I think I've got a little PYB GF-5 left, some GF-4 QS, and a few random samplings of older API/ILSAC stuff and HM stuff. The bulk of my collection now is CJ-4/SM.
wink.gif

Thinner oils are required ore due to tighter tolerances than fuel economy. The prime example is the issues with Dodge Intrepids, where the oil returns were too small for a 10W and causes widespread issues with sludging on heads. There is always a purpose by engineered design for thinner oils. Dont be too quick to discount that. It is most likely that most people in vehicles prior to 2013 needing anything thinner than 0W20 unless you live in areas that almost never climb above freezing temperatures.

Originally Posted By: KimikoYuuki
Thinner oils are required ore due to tighter tolerances than fuel economy. The prime example is the issues with Dodge Intrepids, where the oil returns were too small for a 10W and causes widespread issues with sludging on heads. There is always a purpose by engineered design for thinner oils. Dont be too quick to discount that. It is most likely that most people in vehicles prior to 2013 needing anything thinner than 0W20 unless you live in areas that almost never climb above freezing temperatures.

If the oil return holes are too small they are too small, 10w-30, 10w-60 or 0w-20 it doesn't matter. A 10w-30 and 5w-30 are the same viscosity at operating temperature, so if 10w-30 isn't for some reason making its way back to the pan neither is 5w-30.

IIRC however, the 2.7 sludged up due to coolant contamination, not oil return hole size.

Originally Posted By: KimikoYuuki

This is false. Oil tolerances aren't that much tigher in today's engines. Lower viscosity is driven due to CAFE, which is for higher fuel economy. For instance, the same engine in the US and Austraila are recommended different oils. US use 5w20, Australia use 10w40. Tighter tolerances are just an excuse for people who drink the koolaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back