GF-6 Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I have no idea how many more there are out there but QS makes a 5w30 SynBlend that is D1G2, SN+/GF6.. this may be the only one for all I know. But it does show at least that a syn blend can meet D1G2. WM carries it.

Pennzoil probably still has a licensed one, then, too. I know Petro-Canada's and Imperial Oil's equivalents disappeared, at least for a time.

I know from personal experience that syn blends like Chevron's Supreme are more than sufficient for someone like me but does the QS product carrying that Dexos cert justify the added cost in your opinion?? (cost to benefit analysis) it's about a $5 difference between the QS and Chevron Supreme (which itself is a syn blend SN+/GF5) in the 5qt jug. I usually alternate between Supreme and Havoline, which I think are basically the same oil, yes? So if I'm wondering if it's not broken, don't fix it right??

Plus I'm wondering why would someone spend $17 and change for the QS syn blend when for about the same price they can pick up full synthetic ST, which I believe is also D1G2??? (the ST HiMi full syn is even cheaper at around $16)

Last edited:
... Plus I'm wondering why would someone spend $17 and change for the QS syn blend when for about the same price they can pick up full synthetic ST, which I believe is also D1G2??? ...
Or D1G2 Pennzoil Platinum for $13 (plus tax) after rebate?

Originally Posted by Garak
Is it true that a conventional oil can not meet/carry the Dexos seal? Can a syn blend meet D1G2 standards? If so, then I suppose the oil companies will move away from 100% dino to syn blends???... there goes sub $15 5qt jugs, no? Well, I hope the price on the Supreme 5w20/30 wouldn't go up... that's an amazing value for a good oil.

I'm not sure if even any blends are carrying the latest dexos1 seal. I know that some were for the first generation, but at least some, if not all, did not get the approval for the second generation. That's why I'm not convinced that the SP/GF-6 will be an absolute equal of dexos1 second generation. There will be resistance and confusion, to say the least.

stanlee: OT, but an electric vehicle up here is not terribly useful up here for common usage patterns.

I have no idea how many more there are out there but QS makes a 5w30 SynBlend that is D1G2, SN+/GF6.. this may be the only one for all I know. But it does show at least that a syn blend can meet D1G2. WM carries it..

[Linked Image]

Sure its a 'blend'....but I'd imagine it is at least 60-80% 'synthetic'....so kinda pointless terminology to use for it.

Originally Posted by CR94
... Plus I'm wondering why would someone spend $17 and change for the QS syn blend when for about the same price they can pick up full synthetic ST, which I believe is also D1G2??? ...
Or D1G2 Pennzoil Platinum for $13 (plus tax) after rebate?

Yeah but a lot of people don't like to do rebates, so I can kinda understand someone being reluctant to go from $17 to $23, all things being equal.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Sure its a 'blend'....but I'd imagine it is at least 60-80% 'synthetic'....so kinda pointless terminology to use for it.

It probably has more to do with truth in advertising than anything else. They can't very well call it full synthetic if it's not 100% synthetic. And may be a marketing thing to appeal to people who are reluctant to use a full syn.

Last edited:
I have no idea how many more there are out there but QS makes a 5w30 SynBlend that is D1G2, SN+/GF6.. this may be the only one for all I know. But it does show at least that a syn blend can meet D1G2. WM carries it..

[Linked Image]

That looks like the symbol for dexos2, not dexos1.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

[Linked Image]

That looks like the symbol for dexos2, not dexos1.

QS website says it's D1 approved...

Oops, i just noticed I wrote in my original post that it was GF6 certified. That obviously is not accurate. It's GF5 certified.

Last edited:
I know from personal experience that syn blends like Chevron's Supreme are more than sufficient for someone like me but does the QS product carrying that Dexos cert justify the added cost in your opinion?? (cost to benefit analysis) it's about a $5 difference between the QS and Chevron Supreme (which itself is a syn blend SN+/GF5) in the 5qt jug. I usually alternate between Supreme and Havoline, which I think are basically the same oil, yes? So if I'm wondering if it's not broken, don't fix it right??

I'd say no, but that's assuming you're not operating something calling for dexos1. As for the question about jumping to a full synthetic for the marginal difference, that's great for most of us end users, but a lot of the dexos1 blends have historically been marketed to shops, where there is an incentive to provide as cheap as possible oil change that is approved to all specifications, and then allow for upsells.

The only place I've ever seen a dexos1 blend was in places that sell in volume to shops and some of these blends were only marketed in container sizes that shops could use. As I recall, the dexos1 Gen 1 blend from Imperial Oil up here, our Mobil, was in 205 litre drums and larger.

I just noticed this released yesterday on Chevron's website. Their "Oronite OLOA 55600" add pak is ready to go for ILSAC GF6. In the video below you can see them talking about getting 100k miles out of the oil. That's crazy, is that possible in real life conditions or just controlled testing??? I guess one of the test locations for Oronite is Las Vegas in those always idling cabs, with the hot summers and cold winter's.

Question, how many of the other major mfgs make their own add paks??? Do they all? I wonder if this is how Chevron is able to price their products so competitively; they do it all in-house?

https://www.oronite.com/about/news/latest-news/2019/readiness-ILSAC-GF6-OLOA-55600.aspx

https://youtu.be/lwgcLDAAjZE

Last edited:
I just noticed this released yesterday on Chevron's website. Their "Oronite OLOA 55600" add pak is ready to go for ILSAC GF6. In the video below you can see them talking about getting 100k miles out of the oil. That's crazy, is that possible in real life conditions or just controlled testing??? I guess one of the test locations for Oronite is Las Vegas in those always idling cabs, with the hot summers and cold winter's.

Question, how many of the other major mfgs make their own add paks??? Do they all? I wonder if this is how Chevron is able to price their products so competitively; they do it all in-house?

https://www.oronite.com/about/news/latest-news/2019/readiness-ILSAC-GF6-OLOA-55600.aspx

Chevron/havoline oils are some of the lowest priced oils on the market, but I like the idea of one company being responsible for everything involved when it comes to their product. How many Chevron oil commercials have you seen? Maybe that's why their prices are cheaper than Supertech at Wal-Mart for the 5 quart jug.

Originally Posted by Corollaman

Chevron/havoline oils are some of the lowest priced oils on the market, but I like the idea of one company being responsible for everything involved when it comes to their product. How many Chevron oil commercials have you seen? Maybe that's why their prices are cheaper than Supertech at Wal-Mart for the 5 quart jug.

I honestly can't remember. I don't read print anymore so I can't speak for that media..but as for TV, it's been years I'd say. I'm thinking they have good cost controls doing everything in-house. They do it all right?.. Refine, formulate, blend, distribute, marketing etc???

Last edited:
Why would there be any question of Chevron's manufacturing? They have been in the oil business since the dinosaurs became extinct. They also sell base oils and additives to other companies.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Why would there be any question of Chevron's manufacturing? They have been in the oil business since the dinosaurs became extinct. They also sell base oils and additives to other companies.

Oh I know how big they are. I use to live about 30mins from their HQ in Richmond. if I recall correctly, they were one of the originals that came out of the breakup of Standard?

My only question was, do all the other refiners formulate their own add paks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back