GF-6 / API-SP Sequence IVB Low Temperature Cam Wear Test Approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts on this is it will make oil manufacturers think a little more about solvency and miscibility at low temperatures. However, with the limits that are set, I don't think many oils will have a problem passing it.

Sequence IVB Rule Approved

Last edited:
Well I'm not terribly worried about my cam at start up temps, I am however terrified at warm idle and especially applications that are starving the cam at warm idle like the mds hemi.

The test engine is Toyota 2NR-FE. Here is the video rendering of 8NR-FTS. There is probably very little cam wear because the cam rides on a roller but surprisingly a lot of wear caused by the valve stem on the bucket lifter. Also, it's not clear if this test applies to older, more traditional valvetrain designs much.

Last but not least, it reads "The final test limits call for a maximum average intake lifter volume loss of 2.5 cubic millimeters and an end-of-test maximum iron level of 400 parts per million." 2.5 cubic millimeters and 400 ppm iron is a lot. I understand that they ramp back and forth between 800 and 4300 rpm in a 30-second cycle 24,000 times in 200 hours with 49 °C coolant, which is tough on the engine, but it still sounds like the worst-performing oils will nearly destroy the engine.

https://www.swri.org/sites/default/files/sequence-ivb-test.pdf

Take SuperTech 0w16 and throw in 1000 PPM Moly
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
Again...If you are going to use a 0w16 or 0w20, use Toyota oil.

They know what they are doing.

Toyota dosent blend oil.

Yep, they know to source their oil from Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pinoak

Toyota dosent blend oil.

Toyota engineers have specifications they want meet, regardless of who blends their oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back