GF-4 done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
""""It’s Official GF-4 Now Part of the Industry Family. Kline and Company forecast that there will be enough Group II after GF-4 is adopted.

Kline believes that Group I base oil prices will decline to a point that the Group II refiners will switch their industrial lubricant formulations to Group I oils and will put their Group II stocks into the marketplace at a higher return.""""

"""ILMA does not believe captive Group II refiners will sell their Group II oil products in the marketplace, while switching to Group I ..."""

"""As it stands now, the recommended start date for introducing GF-4 into the marketplace is July 1, 2004, and the end-date for GF-3 will be April 2005."""

""""...ILMA’s letter...to the additive companies, ... opinions on the use of Group I base stocks in certain GF-4 formulations...
Committee believes that significant amounts of Group I oils can be used in making 10W-xx oils.""""

It's on the WAY... Maybe I need to use up some of my oil... Hummmm

Problems / Pitfalls / benefits / ????

Exxon/Mobil is a huge Group I producer.

Reckon some Group I might get to be "synthetic" too. hehehe. Just sprinkle in a little ester and you've got a choclate truffle, viola.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Exxon/Mobil is a huge Group I producer.

Reckon some Group I might get to be "synthetic" too. hehehe. Just sprinkle in a little ester and you've got a choclate truffle, viola.

Another source:
"an additive company submitted data for a demonstration 10W-30 oil made with 50-percent Group I and which met GF-4 requirements. A second company provided data showing a demonstration oil made with 100 percent Group I that could pass the III-G test," - lube report

Are we getting shafted???
mad.gif
Because if we are I'm going to stock up on more "now" oil.
tongue.gif

I guess our oil "future" looks
crushedcar.gif

I was a little worried when SL GF-3 came about after purchasing a new car in early 2002 but looking back we got better oils out of the deal and for an example the Pennzoil Purebase oils are right at qualifying for the new SM GF4 as we speak and we've seen the UOA's on that oil . It does very well .

Known companies that soley use group II+ such as Pennzoil , Motorcraft and a few others just might be the ticket for over the counter oils of choice with this coming oil spec .

Thanks to this forum we will know all about it and who uses what prior
cheers.gif

So are we getting shafted, or getting better oil for less money? I suspect the GP-I oil would have to be doctored up quite a bit to meet spec, and sometimes that is not the best for the engine. Kinda like the "Energy Conserving" rating, which presumably does nothing for engine protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back