Getting started on sport bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also recommend a magazine called Motorcycle Consumer News. It is subscription only, and does not take ads. They have reveiws on bikes and bike related products, clothing, tools, ect. and articles on bike upkeep, riding tips, health, and other motorcycle related topics. BusyLittleShop had a big article in it about his Honda RC-45 serial#2 he found in Mexico. Part of it is in a thread titled "Older Bikes with Low Miles". Introductory subscriptions at a discount are available on Amazon.

Look more at the power output than the engine size. For instance a Ninja 650 is going to have much less power than a Yamaha R6.

Something int he 500 to 650 range with around 40 to 65hp is good(cb500, Ninja500 or 650, Suzuki SV650, GS500). If you can fit on one, and do in town riding then something like a Ninja 250/300 would be okay, but they struggle on the highways, especially in terms of dealing with crosswinds.

I started on a 250, but it was a Yamaha cruiser.

Ive been riding since the mid 70's, been up and down the cc scale many times.

There is no such thing in my world as a Starter bike, Ive never owned one.

Riding careers are generally short on the street , cause people get run over. This has to do with dveloped experience, skill and tactics.

If you don't develop those, all is for not, and will not matter what you ride, and the desire probably wont last.

Sport bikes, no matter how fast you ride them, you get very little exercise. IMO, the reason that you ride has to be understood. That's going to have great impact on the type of bike that you like most.

I mean put me on a crusier , and I'd probably stop riding.

I have a sport bike, but its for covering a lot of ground quickly, not my fun nest bike for fun and exercise. or the one I yearn to ride usually.

How bout a DRZ 400 super motard

Take a course, and then look for any number of great used bikes. You should be able to get something really good for about $5,000. Ride it for a few years and still sell it for the same prices.

a good way to get started on a sportbike...learn to ride a dirt bike first and all the skills it entails which will translate into handling a street bike..

Get a good helmet and riding clothes with built in protection for your back. Note that you will need good pants also, not jeans or shorts. As a fireman ive seen how ugly it gets when some jeans riding kid skids 200 feet on the asphalt.
be sober.
be aware of the fellows that also are using the road.
be aware that you are not as visible as a car.
Get a fivehoundred or something..a 250 is weak.

Just don't drive with your high beam on as that blinds every driver on the road including other bikers. Cheers.
I have a high visibility yellow jacket, no one comes close to me with it on. I was almost hit a few times with regular colour riding gear.
Jacket

Personally I started on an SV650S and it was a great choice, as long as you respect the power of the bike and slowly learn with not pushing it too far any bike would work for a first bike. It basically comes down to your willingness to dump the bike and how expensive it is to fix after that. It was a cheaper bike that had great after market support and was cheap to get parts for. I rode that bike for 2 years and 10K miles and then moved towards the dream bikes Ducati800ss and my now 996. Its all about building skills as mostly all bikes are far more than what is needed and you will never get the most out of them on a public roadway.

So far, the 95 Ninja 500 turns out to be a very good choice for my first street bike. At times I wish I had a tad bit more power (I'm glad I did not get a 250cc), but overall it's plenty capable for my work commute and some weekend trips. It was cheap to buy and insure and parts are plentiful and also cheap.

I just did over the Saturday a 600km trip around southern Ontario and the motorcycle performed flawlessly. The last leg was on a major highway, meaning 65mph limit instead of 50mph and I had no trouble keeping up with the traffic at 70-75mph.

I would agree that a new rider should start small, but too small is also not all that great. Just look at some 250's that are up for sale, a lot of them are being sold the same season they were bought.

Lots of good suggestions here. When I came back to motorcycling, I bought a used SV650 and loved it.

If you are new to motorcycles or have been absent for a long time, buy a USED bike, preferably one that is very popular (lots of parts and on-line support). A dual sport might be good, if you have long legs. Chances are you are going to have a 'whoops' moment, and you'll be happy you didn't buy a new bike.

My 'whoops' moment happened trying to follow my jeep buddies to a campsite that was a few miles off the road with lots of sand.

Ninja 500, Ninja 650, SV650, Gladius, FZ6, GS500, 650 bandit, Honda 600 are all great street bikes.

I think that new Yamaha YZF-R3 looks like a great starter sport bike that you might not grow out of in 6 months. 321cc's might keep you happy for a long time depending on your size and riding requirements.

Honda NC700X. DCT/ABS version if you can. Nearly as thrifty as the 250/300s, but faster, bigger, and far, FAR more useful/utilitarian. Fun, but not risky in the sense the supersports are. About 50hp, give or take.

Like a couple other people have suggested, I'd suggest taking an MSF course. Beyond that, just get something that's not too powerful. You don't need 600cc bike if you're just starting out.

It doesn't matter what bike you buyso long as it fits you.

Re the hayabusa comments, itll only go as fast as you twist the wrist so stick below 1/10 throttle and you'll be fine. As the years and miles and experience rack up you can use more throttle.

1. MSF course.

2. Sport bikes are a waste of time. So many fast nakeds these days... why on earth would you want all that plastic to go scratchy the moment you tip it over? And you will tip it over. Then what? Duct tape or open wallet? Trust me even advanced riders have oopsies.

Look at insurance before you buy. They will decide for you lol...

Also women find naked bikes hotter. Sport bikes will attract whiny teenagers and not much else.

Virtually every bike for sale is putting out obscene amounts of power for their displacement. Unless you're in motogp stick to the comfier ergos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back