Getting Rid of Norton Spam

Al

Bought a new computer a few months back. It had Windows 10. I since updated to 11. Frequently when my computer starts up Norton spam appears...either. ."Congratulations you are eligible for Norton" or "Your Norton Subscription has Expired"

How can I stop this crap.

Reactions: JC1
Funny how the antivirus software is a virus itself.

All this third party antivirus stuff is completely unnecessary any more.

If you go to Windows Tools > Control Panel > Uninstall a Program you should be able to uninstall Norton.

Funny how the antivirus software is a virus itself.

All this third party antivirus stuff is completely unnecessary any more.

If you go to Windows Tools > Control Panel > Uninstall a Program you should be able to uninstall Norton.
It doesn't surprise me. I have always believed that if you went to the offices of any of the antivirus software companies, half of the office worked on the antivirus software, the other half worked on the viruses.

While I do use various Norton products for protection, I'm the first to admit that they do embed their software into everything and it can be a royal pain to remove. Sometimes after using the Windows Uninstall I have had to go into the registry and manually remove all the Norton entries and references - a Royal Pain!!!

Fortunately they do have the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool which does do a decent job of removing most of the residual files left behind when one of their software packages is uninstalled. Just go to google and search for "Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool" and ye shall be rewarded.

A few years ago I went through, in this order:

- Windows uninstall
- Norton uninstall
- Revo uninstaller
- hand-editing the registry

to get Norton off of a PC.

If the laptop had Norton or a Norton "free trial" installed to begin with there are steps you can take to get rid of it permanently, however even a legitimate installation of Norton can be hard to remove. And they are relentless in trying to get you to sign up again. There may be residual Norton files that are sending OP the offers to sign back up. There is a dedicated Norton removal tool here:

First thing to do would be to run that removal tool. Then download the Everything program from Void Tools:

Everything will show a list of everything and every file on the computer. Let it scan the drive first, the scan does not take long, then you can search for Norton and right click any Norton files to delete them from within the Everything program. Some files may not be able to delete that way so you can right click the file and select Show Path to find where the file is located and follow the path into the files' directory and delete them manually.

You can also go into the registry editor as an admin and search for Norton files to delete. Then download HiBit Uninstaller:

HiBit is the best uninstall tool I have ever seen. A lot of my colleagues on a few computer sites say the same thing. Go to Tools in the top right corner and run the Junk Files Cleaner, Registry Cleaner, Empty Folder Cleaner and Shortcuts Fixer to eliminate not just any leftover Norton files but all files and folders that are no longer needed. You can run the Hibit Uninstaller to remove Norton but it and other uninstallers like Revo and Iobit etc will likely just run the dedicated Norton tool anyway so you are better off running it yourself.

The other possibility here is if you did not have Norton to begin with on the laptop, then you may a victim of an adware scam. There is a guide here with good info about removing it:

Hope this helps.

Reactions: JC1
Currently typing on a $149 Gateway Windows 11 machine.

Intel core i3, 4gb ram, SSD, and debloated version of windows 11.

Works fine for doing this.

My work daily driver is a precision but to look up something on the weekend, this is fine.

Back in 2006, I had a friend of my son's working for me. He recommended AVG. When I asked about Norton antivirus he told me Norton is a virus. That actually made sense.

Back in 2006, I had a friend of my son's working for me. He recommended AVG. When I asked about Norton antivirus he told me Norton is a virus. That actually made sense.
Norton has a history of high levels of bloat, being difficult to remove and having less than stellar detection results. It deserves the reputation it has.

I'm not a big fan of AVG, it has also gotten quite bloated in recent years.

There are a few light-weight AV programs, I'm a big fan of ESET EndPoint (not the whole suite, just the AV, which also scans web traffic and will block malicious sites) which is more effective than Windows Defender that comes with 10/11, though that product, for free, is a big upgrade over what Microsoft has included in the past.

Back